 Off-Topic / Debate / 8906
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:32:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Especially when it's posted in a non useful way, as I said.
Todd does have a special responsibility to keep the line between
his private persona and his  public one distinct.

I don't accept that at all. Anyone who wants to express their opinion in • a
public forum should be allowed to do so, whether they are involved in
running it or not. If someone else takes exception to that, that's fine, • but
I don't think in this situation you (or anyone) has the right to dictate
Todd's (or anyone's) "responsibility" (special or otherwise).

I'm not dictating. Not now, not ever.

Then perhaps you should have worded it "Todd should think about making the
line between ....". It just sounded to me like you were stating a fact, and
that was why I responded as I did.

I can see how you might take it that way... but I do have a rather brash
style, long term readers know when I'm being actually emphatic. :-) However
communication wasn't did, and the fault lies not with the reader.

Certainly. I definitely agree that many developers make incorrect
development decisions based on MS / non-MS bias, as well as many other
biases with little relevance to the job. This generally results in increased
development time (cost), or below-standard results, or both. This is *bad*.
I think the open-source platform is a good development platform, but there
are many others, including MS. You should use the right tool for the job.

I don't think we're disagreeing.

In the case of LUGNet, because resources are probably a bit more limited
than most development projects, familiarity with the platform becomes a
factor. I don't know how familiar Todd is with MS web development, but if
he's more familiar with FreeBSD / Apache / whatever else he uses (what do
you use Todd?), then he probably can't afford the time involved researching
/ learning other tools.

I think Apache but am not sure. Apache is the right tool for the job, it's
way better than IIS, IMHO. I am not advocating any sort of change in
technology, merely a decrease in anti-MS bias. It's not anti-MS to use
Apache or Linux. The technology decisions I refer to impact the users.
Choice of OS or web server or development tools in general should, on a
properly engineered site, have no user impact.

++Lar