 Administrative / General / 8738
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:22:14 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:G7uDtL.IHw@lugnet.com...

I wouldn't say "incredibly inefficient," but definitely wasteful and
inefficient.  It's no big deal for occasional hand-typed URLs, but it's
extremely annoying for links.

Any way to differenitate between the two?

I find that what is in place to stop those
slashless URLs from being forwarded is quite a significant irritation (and
others have told me that as well).  Its a pain to have to click something
extra when you don't put one character in a URL.

I agree completely, and in the case of hand-typed URLs (where HTTP_REFERER
comes in undefined) it should auto-forward to the URL that it thinks you
really meant.

Hmm...could it?

Also, if you're trying to eliminate links to slashless directories, why not put
a notice on the error page (if there isn't already) politely asking the visitor
to remind the person who owns the site with the link to change it?

I guess I should ask - is there a legitimate technical reason you did this,
or is it a way to 'teach' people to key in a URL 'correctly?'  I've honestly
never seen an error page show up on any other server when I forgot to
include a slash - so, why LUGNET?

Because the URL

   http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/images

actually refers to a page named 'images' in the /publish/ftx/guide/ directory.

Page...which, there is no page, right?  And if that is a page, why doesn't it
have an extension?

Similarly, the URL

   http://news.lugnet.com/castle

actually refers to a page named 'castle' in the root directory.  Only there's
no page named 'castle' and hence the error message.

If its hand typed, it should auto-forward, so as not to be a PITA.

Thus, you could have a directory

   http://www.lugnet.com/~140/foo/

and at the same time a [file]

   http://www.lugnet.com/~140/foo

because the page names are magically file-extensionless.  (I wouldn't
recommend having both unless you're having one forward to the other for
legacy reasons, but it's possible indeed.)

Its possible, but will it ever happen?  Is it possible with FTX?  If its 1)
improbable or 2) impossible with FTX, why make the safeguard?  And, why wouldn't
the file have an extension?  That's just asking for confusion the way I see it.

-Tim