 Off-Topic / Debate / 9124
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:29:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
But as Larry has argued before, whether YOU think you are in the right or
not, you are going counterintuitive to the vast majority of the Internet.
There ARE times where you should just get off the high horse and do something
for the convenience of the majority.

I don't think it's about being "right" or "wrong."  The reason that it's
"counterintuitive" relative to the rest of the Internet is that 99.999999%
of websites don't let you create non-index webpages that don't use filename
extensions.  Naturally in those cases there's no ambiguity between

   http://www.foo.com/bar/bletch
and
   http://www.foo.com/bar/bletch/

because an actual non-index page would have to be written with a filename
extension as (for example)

   http://www.foo.com/bar/bletch.html

But here, there is actually ambiguity between the two because there's no
.html extension for member pages.  Thus, the server *actually doesn't know
and can't tell* which of the two you meant.  It can (and arguably should)
make a guess, but it won't necessarily be correct.

I would have put in autoforwarding a long time ago in cases where /foo/bar
doesn't exist and /foo/bar/ does exist, except that by the time it gets to
the point where it can easily check, it has already output the normal HTTP
headers and thus it's too late to output a 'Location:' header.  But I'll
figure out some trick around this.

--Todd