 Off-Topic / Debate / 8926
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:15:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In the case of LUGNet, because resources are probably a bit more limited
than most development projects, familiarity with the platform becomes a
factor. I don't know how familiar Todd is with MS web development,

Not much, but I've read enough about ASP to determine that it doesn't suit
my needs (didn't in 1997-98 and still doesn't now).  Always curious, however,
I'll still flip through books in the bookstore every few months -- things on
CFML, ASP, etc. -- but still continue to be disappointed by their clumsy
architectures and inelegant approaches to dynamically generated HTML content.

but if he's more familiar with FreeBSD / Apache / whatever else he uses
(what do you use Todd?),

FreeBSD + Apache + Perl + homebrew Perl/HTML integration system

then he probably can't afford the time involved researching
/ learning other tools.

When there's stuff out there that makes sense to learn, I learn it.  Am
learning mod_perl stuff at work right now, which is extremely good.

LUGNet *does* have an anti-MS bias, and it goes farther than it should.

I don't know whether to laugh at this ridiculous statement or simply ignore
it.  What a steaming cauldron of barf of a statement.

I haven't formed an opinion on that yet, however there does seem to be a
fair bit of evidence pointing in that direction 8?)

Not any more than there is an anti-Sun or an anti-Apple or an anti-Linux bias.
FreeBSD happened to be a very good choice.  Linux would have worked well too.
What seems to be misperceived as an anti-MS bias is actually a pro-Unix
predilection.

It goes far enough to color important decisions here, technical decisions
that may make this site harder to use for users,  [...]

LOL!  Now THAT takes the cake!  That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever
heard in my entire life.  Choice of OS on the server affecting usability for
users?  Give me a break.  If any predilection affects usability for users,
it's that HTML pages don't get tested on Windows browsers as often as they do
on Linux and MacOS.

--Todd