 Off-Topic / Debate / 8969
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:49:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
[...] The technology decisions I refer to impact the users.

I challenge you to defend that with examples.  Good luck.

Here you go: Click on this:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate

(note the lack of trailing slash in the original as typed)

QED

Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand your point here Larry. Surely the page
displayed is not the result of a technology decision? I would guess it's
more of a development decision?

No difference there except semantically, at least not the way I was using
technology in this context, rather broadly.

MS got this part of the standard wrong in that the MS web browser saves
bookmarks to pages without the trailing slash, and IIS apparently by default
seems to do what users consider the "correct thing", in that it returns the
index (whether by rewrite rules or not I can't say). Most people that
implement Apache servers seem to tend to put in rewrite rules to redirect
the user to the index page. At least that's my read of the discussion on
this in admin.general... it was rather a fight to get Todd to do this much
instead of giving a totally unhelpful message to a very common user
"mistake" (which you will find a vociferous contingent arguing that it isn't
a mistake, per se).

Todd chose not to do what other implementors did. Instead you get a page
lecturing you. It's an example of a difference in thinking... I suspect it's
an example of anti MS bias as manifested in an implementation decision here,
as I suspect that if it were not an MS mistake he would have handled it
differently. That's conjecture, really, the QED was a bit hasty.

More generally, go back and look at some of the other places where MS
mistakes aren't accomodated but mistakes of other vendors are. It will take
some digging in admin.general to find, but IMHO they are there.

It could be a perception on my part rather than a real bias. Who knows? But
I know it's hard to separate your dislike for a company and the way you work
with or around its technology. Todd's pretty good at it. I'm pretty good at
it too, but I slip up. Is Todd better than me? Probably, but he works in
public, on a tightrope, with less of a net than I do, so even small biases
and emotions leak through.

But perhaps Todd can shed some more light?

If one can see beyond one's biases, which by definition are rather hard to
see around. I know I can't do it all that well.

This is rather a small topic... they are small biases. (a large bias would
be to detect MS browsers and deny service, for example... something MS does
to people all the time in other areas... "the new Windows release isn't
shippable till Lotus 123 is broken" was supposedly a slogan in Redmond
before Lotus as a firm was broken)

++Lar