 Off-Topic / Debate / 8986
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:34:31 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
[...] The technology decisions I refer to impact the users.
I challenge you to defend that with examples.  Good luck.
Here you go: Click on this:
http://news.lugnet.com/lugnet.off-topic.debate
whoops, (serves me right for not using preview) that should say:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate
QED

Larry, my dear old man, please have your poor head examined.

What you've cited above doesn't have anything to do with the choice of server
technologies, much less with the choice or non-choice of MS.  That page comes
up because I specifically added a URL handler for that type of URL, and it
would be there whether the server was running Apache or IIS or anything.

Not quite true...

As an aside, I do understand that the above error message can be an annoyance
for people who like to play lazy games with URLs, and subsequently it's likely
that I'll be adding some additional smarts to silently auto-forward to a
slashed URL if the slashed URL form exists and the HTTP referrer header is
undefined.

NES/iWS do this automagically.

--
| Tom Stangl, iPlanet Web Server Technical Support     Netscape Communications
Corp
| iPlanet Support - http://www.iplanet.com/support/    A division of AOL Time
Warner