 Off-Topic / Debate / 9122
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:

As an aside, I do understand that the above error message can be an
annoyance for people who like to play lazy games with URLs, and
subsequently it's likely that I'll be adding some additional smarts to
silently auto-forward to a slashed URL if the slashed URL form exists and
the HTTP referrer header is undefined.

NES/iWS do this automagically.

I thought basically all webservers did that automatically.  That's why I had
to specifically add something to stop it from happening.

But why?  Is there a load on the server which makes trailing slashless URLs
incredibly inefficient?  I find that what is in place to stop those
slashless URLs from being forwarded is quite a significant irritation (and
others have told me that as well).  Its a pain to have to click something
extra when you don't put one character in a URL.

I guess I should ask - is there a legitimate technical reason you did this,
or is it a way to 'teach' people to key in a URL 'correctly?'  I've honestly
never seen an error page show up on any other server when I forgot to
include a slash - so, why LUGNET?

FUT - admin.general

-Tim