 Administrative / General / 8742
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:51:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Because the URL

   http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/images

actually refers to a page named 'images' in the /publish/ftx/guide/
directory.

Page...which, there is no page, right?

No, there *is* a page called 'images' there!  You can click that URL above
and go there.

Oh, ok, I read the statement wrong then.  Silly question - but I feel like
asking it anyways :)  Why is it a page called images versus a directory
called images?

If it were a directory, it would have a traliing slash and then it would also
be a shorthand URL for the index page of that directory.

I think you're thinking about it too hard.

If a URL has a trailing slash, it's a directory (or the index page of that
directory).  If a URL has no trailing slash, then it's not a directory, and
it's a file or page or whatever.

If you type in the name of a directory and you forget the trailing slash, a
webserver will typically respond to your browser with a 'Location:' header
telling your browser to reload at a new location -- the correct location.
The reason the server is telling this to your browser is because your browser
gave it a wrong URL, and the server wants the browser to send the _right_ URL.

In other words, on NO website ANYWHERE does

   http://www.foo.com/bar/bletch

EVER refer to a directory.  It might SEEM like it does, but to think so is
to be mistaken.  The truth is that the server says back, "Uh, you asked for
/bar/bletch and I don't have a /bar/bletch, but I do have a /bar/bletch/ if
you'd like that instead.  Here is the proper URL -- ask me for it the right
way and I'll give it to you under the right name."

--Todd