 Off-Topic / Debate / 5546
Re: Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 12:44:30 GMT

Kevin Wilson <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> wrote in article
<39164BAB.D5FA4312@compuserve.com>...
Allan Bedford wrote:
It takes
only 1/2 of one second to read the large print on them that says "Valid
only in the U.S. and possessions."  And for those of you playing the • home
game, Canada is not a U.S. possession - never has been, never will be. • :)

I pointed this out to my bank here in Vancouver the first time I got one
of these, and they didn't care at all. They cash them for me all the
time, no problem at all. In fact they take cash, personal checks or
money orders from anywhere in the world quite happily. (Royal Bank in
case anyone cares. They do have other drawbacks though).

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes my bank cashed the USPS money order with no fuss, but they just as
easily could have refused it.  I was really just trying to illustrate the
point that the frustrations of international selling are experienced on
both sides of the border, and aren't only felt by our American friends.
And in the end, it was partly my fault as I hadn't specified that it be an
'INTERNATIONAL' money order.  I was still new to eBay then, not so new now.
I am terribly specific with my buyers now, even reminding them to include
proper postage on their payments, as Canada is, afterall, another country.
I had two folks get their own payments back, due to insufficient postage.
Bottom line... spell it out, make no assumptions and you can eliminate 95%
of the headaches.

I too have taken in personal cheques as well, with no problems so far.  I
guess my point to the American sellers was that you need to work with your
buyers no matter where they are.  Even if an eBay auction says "Will ship
to the U.S. only" I will always email the seller, explain that I pay in
very cashable U.S. money orders, and that I'm willing to pick up any extra
shipping costs.  So far, I've had only one complete refusal, and that's
because she charges a flat shipping rate and donates the leftover to
charity.  The same goes for folks bidding on my items.  I will try to work
with them to accept other forms of payment, if I can, and will make sure
they are aware of any shipping options I can offer.

The thing I guess that perhaps American folks may not realize is that many
of us in smaller countries (population wise, not land mass) are forced to
sell internationally, if we want to sell at all.  If I were to refuse to
sell to anyone outside of Canada, I would have sold exactly nothing on eBay
so far.  As of right now, I've not shipped to anywhere in Canada.  Folks in
the U.S. should consider themselves lucky that they can set restrictions on
their sales, and still know that they will likely make a sale.  My point to
them in my first post in this thread was that perhaps they shouldn't rule
out several million potential buyers, just north of the border, who are
perfectly willing to pay for their products as well.

[I've posted this to .off-topic.debate as well, as I sense this is drifting
well off the beaten LEGO path.]

Regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm