 Marketplace / Auctions / 5717
5716  |  5718
Subject:
Money Orders from USA to other countries (was: Re: Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us"?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 20:33:45 GMT

Tom Stangl wrote:

Intl MOs are available in the US from the USPS.  NOTE, however, that for many countries,
the entire process to get your IPMO can take WEEKS.  First you pay the local PO - they send
it off to St Louis or someplace, which creates the IPMO, and mails it back to you.  Rather
insane.

Did they actually send some back to you?  My experience is that they
send it directly from St. Louis to the recipient.

Also, this "Standard International Postal Money Order" you
are referring to costs $8.50, which I find too expensive
for most purposes.

OTOH:
The "Direct international postal money order"
(a "pink-colored document similar to a traveler's check",
according to the web site) is another
type of IPMO that can be used for sending money from
the USA to other countries.  The USPS web site
(it uses frames, so I can't point you to the exact page,
but you can start at http://www.uspsglobal.com/ )
states that banks in most countries will accept this
kind of money order, but the only countries where the
post office itself will cash it are:  Canada, Japan, Mexico,
and a few other countries, mainly Caribbean and other island
nations.  This IPMO costs only $3.  (To Canada, I usually
prefer personal check.  Most if not all Canadian banks
will deposit US$ checks without any special fee.)

If anyone knows of banks in various countries that do / do-not
cash this type of IPMO, and how much they charge, I would
be interested to find this out, and I suspect many other
people would also be interested.  Without knowing that the
recipient could cash it I am leery of using this type of IPMO.

/Eric McC/