 General / 18121
Re: Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 15:51:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

American banks are "transaction ignorant" when it comes to international money
orders.  Whenever I wanted to buy one, the
clerk would have to call the manager, and then they would have to look it up
in a book.  Then they would tell me there will
be a $15 processing fee.  I said "forget it"!  I'll send cash.

I recently got one (an international money order) with no difficulty.  It was
the first time I had gotten one, and the clerk knew what I wanted and was able
to direct me to the person I needed to talk to, who drew it up with no effort.

As far as pricing:  It cost me $7.50, which made me gag.  But that's because I
knew the amount I needed to send in the foreign currency.  For them to do the
minor calculation of US$ to the foreign amount, the price jumped to $25!  To be
fair, they had the exchange rates posted, so unless you were exceedingly lazy
or stupid you could avoid that.

eric