 General / 18039
Re: Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 16:36:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us" in auctions, sales,
trades etc?

Good question!  There's the cost thing (see MikeS's reply) and then there's
the time/effort thing (and maybe even other things).  I'll cover the time
thing:

If you live in the U.S. and you're sending a significant number of packages
to other countries, the time involved can really add up.  For each foreign
parcel, you have fill out a customs form (and the newer form now requires
both the origination and destination addresses) and, to ensure the absolutely
correct postage, you have to actually wait in line and let them weigh and
calculate it at the counter.  One or two parcels, no big deal.  Fifty of
these OTOH, big unpleasant mess.

If you're instead sending a significant number of packages to destinations
all within the US, then it's much, much quicker.  You don't have to fill out
anything but the address label (which doesn't go on a USPS form and therefore
can be automatically computer-printed) and, if the parcel is expensive,
perhaps an insurance or registered-mail or certified-mail form.  If you own
a postage scale (inexpensive ones typically weigh parcels up to ~3 kg), you
can pre-stamp all of your parcels, which means not only that you get to
avoid the lines at the service counter and the service counter itself, but
that you also get to drive around back and park in the special USPS-only lot
for a minute while you unload a car-trunk full of packages right onto their
receiving dock.

--Todd

p.s.  The above is just my experience and is really only applicable IMHO for
large numbers of small- to moderately-sized and inexpensive packages going
out in batches.