 General / 18057
Re: Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 00:59:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter White writes:
In lugnet.general, Dave Johann writes:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us" in auctions,
sales, trades etc?

Recently, I gave up my collectible card game sales business. It was • tough
dealing with foreign countries due to restrictions from: a) my bank and b) • the
US Postal Service. Sometimes I couldn't accept a check drawn on foreign funds
(Canada), but other times it was fine (Mexico, Germany). The USPS didn't help
matters much either...shipping to Israel was close to impossible because the
packages just didn't arrive. China always took close to a month. Don't get me
started on dealing with Australia...It's a wonderful place, but I don't want • to
send any more packages down under.

Dave, were there specific problems with Australia. It sounds as if you had
some really bad experiences.
I have been using ebay for two months and 'US only' auctions cuts down those
available by a third.
Auctions where the seller 'ships worldwide' tend to get higher prices, I do
not know if this is always the case though, since I guess you're increasing
the number of potenetial bidders.
I always pay by IMO in US$ since anything else would be an inconvenience for
the seller. I would always expect to pay for all shipping charges as well.

pete.w (Sydney,Australia)

I finally said 'enough is enough' and stopped dealing with anyone • outside
the US. I just couldn't justify the hassle on a $10 order. Now that I'm
effectively starting over with my Lego ebay aucions, I will be shipping • outside
the US, but not for a month or so. I want to get set up and get everything
running smoothly again. Hopefully, this first batch of auctions will run
smoothly enough to allow me to do this...only time will tell.
-Dave

Pete,
   Yes, there were significant problems. I believe it was due to the USPS
mostly, as Australian currency proved no problem for me. The waiting period
was the chief problem for me. A month or two is far too long to complete a
transaction, IMHO. Perhaps things will work out better this time around, but
my first foray into world-wide shipping was memorable...and not in the good
sense of the word.
   -Dave