 General / 18062
Re: Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 03:55:48 GMT

Dave Johann <hardcoredj@techie.com> wrote in article
<Fu7u6s.B1z@lugnet.com>...

That, my friend is why they invented the money order: reasonably cheap • for the
buyer, costs nothing the for the casher (I think, dont quote me on this) • and
is
accepted worldwide (you just get it in the correct currency). The buyers • end
handles the currency conversion so the seller gets it ready to go in us$ • or
euros
or whatever.

Unfortunately, when you are dealing with certain credit unions and banks, • the
rules tend to become more rigid. I finally got to the point that I would
accept NO orders from Canada because I'd inevitibly get burned. Check, • MO...it
didn't matter because I still wouldn't get my money. Even check cashing • places
wouldn't help out because it was foreign currency drawn on foreign banks.
-Dave

[My two cents on this issue really only applies to transactions between
Canada (where I am) and the U.S. (where a lot of the stuff I want is).  So
bear that in mind before you take what I say out of context.]

U.S. sellers take note.  Anytime you are closing the border (so to speak)
to Canadian buyers, you are missing out.  U.S. dollar international money
orders are easy to obtain up here and will have you paid in full in your
own currency.  And from many experiences in the last two years, I've found
that the quoted price for U.S. shipping is often not increased very much
when you send the package north of the border.  If you're unsure, have a
few items weighed in advance, reduce your trips to the post office.  I have
recently begun selling items on eBay (no LEGO) and have a set of prices and
weights for shipping to the U.S. I don't get burned when I go to the post
office.  I'm more than happy to take your money.  :)  But by all means,
don't let the buyer off without paying the whole shot for the shipping.  I
have never yet left a seller on the hook for the extra shipping to Canada,
even if it was 25 cents.

Take note that the international money orders (if properly requested at the
bank) will be drawn in good old U.S. dollars, on a bank with a U.S.
address.  The next time I have one in hand, I will scan it in if anyone's
interested.  There should be no dispute at any reputable bank over cashing
these payments.  And as for getting burned, well, it happens up here too.
I had one bright fellow in the U.S. send me a USPS money order.  It takes
only 1/2 of one second to read the large print on them that says "Valid
only in the U.S. and possessions."  And for those of you playing the home
game, Canada is not a U.S. possession - never has been, never will be.  :)

But it's not really any different dealing with Canada than another state.
It's a matter of being utterly clear in the deal that you make with the
buyer of your item.  If you won't accept a personal cheque, then tell them
so up front, in as many words.  If it absolutely must be an international
money order, say so.  And what about good old cash?  Another easily
obtainable item up here.  (yes, we have access to your currency)  For items
of say $10 or less, why not just pack some cash in a couple sheets of paper
and fire it off.  I've done it at least 2 dozen times in the last two
years, never had a problem.

I'm getting down off my soapbox now.  Actually, to be perfectly honest,
I'll be more than thrilled when folks like Paypal or Billpoint get online
and realize that Canadians are doing as much business on the web per capita
as Americans.  Online electronic transfers will make much of this
discussion go away, I hope.  (fingers crossed)

Regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm