 General / 18046
Re: Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 21:14:57 GMT

I've got to second what Dave Johann writes.

Having lived in the UK for about two years over two different
time periods, I can say that, on average, the U. S. banking
system simply isn't prepared to deal with international currency
transactions (in either direction) in comparison with Europe.

In my small town in Scotland (population perhaps 10,000 max.),
virtually every branch bank could perform currency exchange and
make out checks or money orders in foreign currency.

On the other hand, in NEW YORK CITY (my home, 1977-86), I had to
leave my neighborhood and ride the subway downtown to a bank's
main office to perform these tasks.  Same story in Philadelphia,
1986-88.

And don't even get me started on my current mid-sized
Ohio city, where my major commercial bank couldn't figure out
how to send money to the UK except by wire transfer, with a minimum
$25 fee, which seemed pretty steep to order about $30 of photographs
from the National Library of Scotland.  In fact, once they discovered
that they had a "corresponding bank" in Edinburgh, they still screwed
the whole thing up.

The bottom line is that in this area, despite all the blather from
politicians and others about the "global marketplace," the fact is
that the U.S. competes poorly because its banks simply don't want
to bother with smaller transactions.

So, the bottom line is that while I am sympathetic with people from
abroad who would like to buy from the U. S., I'm limiting my own
sales to U. S. and Canada, where out banks can seem to manage this
stuff.

In lugnet.general, Dave Johann writes:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Why do so many people say "I will only ship to the us" in auctions,
sales, trades etc?

Recently, I gave up my collectible card game sales business. It was • tough
dealing with foreign countries due to restrictions from: a) my bank and b) the
US Postal Service. Sometimes I couldn't accept a check drawn on foreign funds
(Canada), but other times it was fine (Mexico, Germany). The USPS didn't help
matters much either...shipping to Israel was close to impossible because the
packages just didn't arrive. China always took close to a month. Don't get me
started on dealing with Australia...It's a wonderful place, but I don't want • to
send any more packages down under.
I finally said 'enough is enough' and stopped dealing with anyone • outside
the US. I just couldn't justify the hassle on a $10 order. Now that I'm
effectively starting over with my Lego ebay aucions, I will be shipping • outside
the US, but not for a month or so. I want to get set up and get everything
running smoothly again. Hopefully, this first batch of auctions will run
smoothly enough to allow me to do this...only time will tell.
-Dave