 Off-Topic / Debate / 5545
Re: Canada and the GST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 07:47:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:
Peter White wrote:

When was it introduced in Canada and when did the rate rise ?
Have Canadians found the GST a 'good thing' or a 'bad thing' ?

Some time around the early 90s IIRC. The rate has stayed the same as it
was originally, despite a lot of doom and gloom at the time it was
introduced that the goverment would inevitably increase the rate. OTOH,
the out-of-power party at the time, who fought it tooth and nail and
swore when they got back in they would throw it out... guess what? They
didn't. We still have it.

It replaced a previous Federal Sales Tax, I believe, and applies to more
items (FST only applied to goods, GST applies to services as well). I
dunno whether you'd call it a good thing or not... one way or another
they get the money out of us <g>

Of course our Opposition at the moment say they won't remove it, so I guess
it's in for good. The current government won the last election on the back of
this tax, but it's actually hard finding people willing to say they voted for
it.

Tax cuts are promised, other Wholesale Sales Taxes are being abolished.
There will be people monitoring to prevent real prices being raised after
July 1, but most places are rising now to avoid the that situation.

pete.w

Kevin
--
Personal Lego Web page: