 Off-Topic / Debate / 21961
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:10:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:
   First, an apology: real life interferes with a lengthier reply on your message on things that we will never agree on; sorry for the lengthy snips.

It is perfectly okay. It was indeed, getting to be a lot.

Sure is. I mean no disrespect by not replying to all of your original message, and will do so still if you feel it’s worthwhile--but I get the feeling the horse we’re beating may be a little beyond dead!

   There! We don’t have to agree to disagree! We can agree to agree.

I was thinking last night about the pervasiveness of news nowadays. Part of the problem is that it’s too 24-hour, all-the-time, in-your-face. Realistically, they’re spending at least half of their time in filler--which winds up being either guests expressing opinions or undisguised speculation. It used to be that the news was on for an hour at night, was restricted to true news items, and everyone went about their merry way. It’s gone from the realm of providing information to being entertainment. Oh well, I can’t think really think of a point to this, just rambling.

   Teddy was rather progressive socially....where’s a Bullmoose when ya need him?

Teddy was my kind of guy--pretty live-and-let-live, strong military, high value on tradition but unafraid to challenge it and change, interested in preservation of nature for the future, and so on--too bad he was a bit of an imperialist too. Quite a man, IMO.

   By human nature, most of us probably view ourselves as moderate, because we’re all reasonable, right? Right?

I sense a trap. :-)

Where’s Admiral Ackbar when you need him? “All craft, pull up, pull up!”

   I like to sit at Border’s on Friday nights when they have live music and abuse the magazines and books by reading them but not buying.

Ah, a favorite pastime at my favorite bookstore--though I’m more inclined to read trash sci-fi than anything serious while sitting around.

   You can use “liberal media”, just when you use the liberal media to support a conservative point, I’ll be questioning the use of the term. :-)

Works for me!

   Go play. My 12 year old is at science camp this week, so I’m just moping about.

Understood. I usually enjoy the first day apart--peace at last!--and then just don’t know what to do with myself until my wife & kid get back.

Best regards, Carl