 Off-Topic / Debate / 21874
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:46:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   Yes, everybody wants total domination for their particular agenda, but the article was accurate on that account: the right-wing Republicans are doing whatever it takes to actually achieve theirs.

As are so-called “Democrats” who are as happy to obtain their way by judicial fiat that completely ignores democratic processes. For example, take controversial Proposition 187 in California: a clear expression of will by 59% of the voters (regardless of the wrong-headedness of the bill; the money for it would have been better spent beefing up border patrol). Then “Flip-Flop” Gray Davis creates a “mediation” without representation from the pro-187 people that overcomes it. Is that democracy at work? It’s not even real judicial process as we recognize it!

Judicial fiat is how we have Bush as president if that’s the way you want to look at it, so I’m not sure what you point is when you try to use an example of a proposition that was doomed legally from the word go. What, the judiciary should stand by if 59% of the electorate decide to ship all the Japanese off to Manzanar again?

And the border patrol should be beefed up by the federal government, not the states. But hey, they cut taxes right? Oops, they just shifted them to local government and didn’t cut a thing.

With as much at stake in politics, there’s no way to pretend that either side won’t do “whatever it takes to achieve theirs.” Look at the NAACP ad against Bush talking about lynchings of black people, which was the worst possible hate- and fear-mongering that I’ve seen in a long time.

You’ll have to give me a link on that one (but if it happened, I suppose it is payback for George senior’s hate and fearmongering, if you will recall his dirty deed on that account). Further, that would not have been the action of the central Democratic party (or the Democratic party at all), just as the recall in California has nothing to do with the central Republican party (but still the local Republican party).

   Actually, the problems in California were kicked off by that Bush/Cheney favorite, Enron, and continued with the bad economy in general (same culprits).

The same Enron--the best example of why campaign finance reform isn’t needed--that donated millions to political campaigns and couldn’t get a phone call returned from the White House when it mattered most to them?

The same Enron that was championed by Bush and Cheney that put them in the position they were to screw things up in the first place, yes. Don’t confuse running for cover like a cockroach when the light starts shining on all the skullduggery done in the dark with innocence of complicity in creating the problem.

And the
   bad economy that started in late 1999, when a Democrat in the White House decided to go after one of the most successful American companies with mostly-off-base charges that collapsed the (overvalued) tech sector?

No, the economy that Dubya has driven into the ground worse and worse is the one I’m refering to. You acknowledge that the tech sector was overvalued, so how is that Clinton’s fault that people came to their senses?

   That one is easy to top: Florida. Any more softballs I can hit outta the park? :-)

Going... going... gone! ;-)

I should have mentioned the king of cutthroat political states - Texas (hey, don’t say I’m picking on Republicans since I have a three letter rebuttal: LBJ) - but I thought Florida more in the public mind.

-->Bruce<--