 Off-Topic / Debate / 21917
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:34:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:

   Don’t take my word for it--try reading Bernard Goldberg’s book Bias. I don’t think anyone can make any persuasive argument for Goldberg being conservative. He details from personal experience what happens when one questions the way that news is reported, and it’s quite clear that his dissension was not tolerated by these oh so open, understanding, and tolerant people.

One book may be a revelation, or it could be a disgruntled whiner. It may be correct for the situation he was in, but not for the industry at large. It may even be correct for the industry at large, but by itself, it would be hard to draw that conclusion. For the point of debate, let me note that I have utterly no doubt that instances of bias can be found, in either direction, human nature being what it is.

I mean “mainstream media,” meaning media outlets where people turn for information rather than opinion, which includes the: major networks...

Fox, conservative.

   cable news networks...

Generally don’t watch them, but anything that called it “America’s War” and made it sound like a marketing campaign, sounds pretty darn conservative to me (as noted by other Lugnetters previously).

   news magazines (Time, Newsweek)...

National Review, conservative.

   newspapers.

Orange County Register, way conservative.

   I also include Fox in there, and properly labelled them as conservative in my post. Is that specific enough for you? And I notice that you didn’t debate my point about the number of liberal vs. conservative endorsees from the mainstream media. One would think that this would have a similar distribution to the general population, rather than strongly liberal.

Yes, you were specific, but you left a lot uncovered, nor have I heard Time and Newsweek singled out as “liberal” before. You may be right, I don’t read them on a regular enough basis to form an opinion - but there is a tendancy among conservatives to identify anything not specifically conservative as liberal (get in that pre-emptive strike alleging bias, just in case).

As to the point about endorsees, I simply didn’t challenge you to provide evidence of such because I thought it would go down a tedious route - locally of the two biggest newspapers, the Los Angeles Times will recommend both liberals and conservatives, the Orange County Register only conservatives, so my local experience does not support your claim (not that it represents a valid sample). Anyway, I take it you have a headcount to have made your claim, so quote the source and lets take a look at the evidence.

So yes, using your definition, I believe that the media is indeed biased towards a liberal viewpoint. I do not think that it is that way through conspiracy or malicious intent, so it’s just a notation of the status quo rather than a complaint.

No, it’s not a notation of the status quo: the term “liberal media” is an attempt by conservatives to try and dismiss any criticism of them by claiming bias. An example would be to call newspapers liberal, but then trumpet how newspapers claimed that Bush would have won the recount in Florida (which is the exact point this conversation began with), or use the “liberal media” (i.e. the “mainstream media”) to bash Clinton over and over again. It’s not the bashing I mind so much, as the hypocrisy of doing so while claiming the “liberal” media is out to get them.

We’ll give up “liberal media” if you give up “tax cuts for the rich.”

Why? The one has nothing to do with the other. A better suggestion is to keep the term “liberal media”, or don’t quote how newspaper claim Bush would have won a recount. Give up one or the other since they are mutually exclusive.

   -Deadlines required by law aren’t deadlines (FL Supreme Court, “extended polling hours” in heavily Democratic areas of St. Louis).

You don’t give the reasons for this incident at all, so one can hardly judge.

OK. Florida law required the Secretary of State to certify the voting results by 5 p.m. on November 14th. On November 17th, the Florida Supreme Court blocked the Secretary of State from any certification of the vote. http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/12/13/got.here/

I already noted that Gore accepted the Supreme Court’s decision, so quoting anything about Florida is fairly useless (a point that as I recall, you agreed to). But be that as it may, since you have laid it on the table” the Florida Supreme Court is not part of the Democratic party, so I don’t see where you have a point.

From a report by the Missouri Secretary of State: “The law in Missouri is clear and firm: every qualified voter who arrives at the polls by 7 p.m. shall vote, no matter how long it takes, but there is absolutely no provision allowing a judge to extend the hours of voting. Only in St. Louis City was voting extended late into the evening, in clear violation of state law.”

Judge: not democratic party, so again, there is no point. But to adress it anway, I take it you (or your source) is paraphrasing, because I sincerely doubt that the law is written the way you quote it: who the heck would write into a law “there is no provision allowing a judge to extend the hours of voting? They would say, “the hours of voting may not be extended under any circumstances” and if that was what was written, I firmly believe that is what would have been quoted (but wouldn’t change that a judge could review the law). Anyway, what you quote is stated as a spin. I can probably safely restate it to say: there is no provision prohibiting a judge from extending the hours, and I suspect I would be correct. Further, judicial review of laws is well-established (i.e. just because there is a law, doesn’t make it legal).

   http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/pubs/reformmandate/MandateForReform_revised%20041702.pdf

   -Equal protection provided by the 14th Amendment isn’t (“every vote must count” except the military (i.e., conservative) ones, and recounts only took place in heavily Democratic areas with Democratic election commissions).

Same deal. Anyway, if abuses took place to block votes in a heavily Democratic area, why wouldn’t having a recount there make sense? It’s kinda like, “How dare you catch me cheating! If you demand that there be an accounting for me cheating, then you are a cheat because you didn’t call me to account in the places I didn’t cheat!”

Your reply below doesn’t really address what I said above (but then, I didn’t really address the military claim, I do so below).

Military vote: “Meanwhile, the controversy over military absentee ballots is growing. More than 1500 were thrown out for irregularities. Many of those did not have a postmark.” After all that Gore spoke about every vote counting and divining the intentions of the voter, he tried to throw these out, showing that his winning was more important to him than election law. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/election/july-dec00/fl_11-21.html

(deleting the reply I wrote as I realize that...) You need to establish that Gore was behind the military ballot problems. You have currently simply juxtaposed the two and implied a connection. Perhaps you felt it obvious, but I need my memory jogged, alas.

There were never indications that abuses had occurred. The purported reason for the recount was that on some ballots the voter had had an intention of placing a vote for one candidate or another and not correctly expressed their intentions on the ballot.

Of course there were indications that abuses occured - they may or may not have been the reason for the recount request that you are refering to, but they were there. So, oops! - forgive me if I sloppily connected the two.

   Then judicial review should strike down the mediation if it is illegal, so I don’t see the problem. Has it been struck down, proving it illegal? Or is it at least in a court battle at the moment? Or is it just a wild claim not backed up by any action?

Knowing the backbone of the California Republican party, it’s not being backed up by any action, more’s the pity...

So...the claim was not backed up by any action (i.e. your accusation is not supportable by the facts as they currently stand)?

   Uh, no, your example doesn’t involve the Democratic party, much less the national organizing committee. Further, you drew an example that compares a racist ad with one that complains about racism and equated them as the same, and have avoided adressing that after I pointed it out.

OK, see above for some examples of how the Democrats tried “whatever it takes” to stay in power in the 2000 election directly related to the DNC and Democratic party. I only need to demonstrate that the left-wing, Democratic side (regardless of whether the DNC directly supports it or not) side is willing to do “whatever it takes” to stay in power. We’re not going to reach a conclusion anyway without establishing what “whatever it takes,” either, so it’s a stupid point to argue about.

Ummmmm, if that’s the way you feel, why the arguement? But in any case, yes you do have to tie it to the Democratic party, because the whole point is that the Republican Party, from the top of the power structure is coordinating the effort against the Democrats. The NAACP is not the Democratic inner circle.

(Sorry I provided that particular link--it was the first one that I found with the text of the ad. I never had any intention to compare it to the Willie Horton ad, which was inflammatory garbage as well.)

Let’s talk about content then. Is equating the governor of a state to a murderer acceptable content for a campaign ad?

Ummmmm, where did an ad say that? (to save the inevitable response, no the ad you refered to made no such claim - however, the site you just disavowed did)

   I’m afraid I lost you with “the main cupability for Enron getting out of hand lies squarely on Bush;” can you provide examples of special treatment that they received over and above what other companies did?

Don’t need to. I said, “The bottom line is that they were protected and sheparded by Bush and his buddies every step of the way except the last.” And now I’m going to repeat, just say yes they did (and feel free to append whatever you want after that) or say no they didn’t.

OK, I gave some examples above when you asked for them. You made an assertion, I challenged it, now it’s your turn.

And I said your challenge is meaningless: if some other company was able to abusively act in the fashion Enron did via coddling by The Powers That Be, then we are still at the same point (i.e. I don’t find the Tit for Tat Defense, or The Two Wrongs Make it Okay Defense as valid). So, again, yes or no. Again, feel free to append explanations after the yes or no, but we really can’t proceed until you actually answer. If yes, Bush and Co. did clear the path for Enron’s excesses, then we have reached a conclusion on this point (beyond any rationalizations or explanations that you feel may be mitigating - your point about other companies getting the same treatment would fall into this category). If no, then we can proceed to the evidence that indicates otherwise.

   Then wouldn’t it follow that you should want to prevent reaccurances of this problem, and understand how and why it happened? If the response is yes, but not if it gives liberals a chance to attack conservatives successfully, then your answer is actually no, and you will have just diagreed with what you wrote above (i.e. there is an excuse).

Criminal wrongdoing, whether corporate or individual, is not to be tolerated, whether it’s by a yellow-dog Democrat or the staunchest Republican imaginable. Can I say this any more clearly?

Yes, you can say it more clearly, by matching deed to word. If it must not be tolerated, then to prevent it the roots of the problem must be explored. If the answer is: well, the roots can be explored, but if it gives ammunition for liberals to rightly criticize Bush (assuming that’s where the evidence goes), then no, the roots shouldn’t be explored, then your real answer is: Yes, wrongdoing is to be tolerated, as long is it done by people I politically agree with.

And to temporize the seeming harshness of that last statement, let me say that it is more of a trap that anyone can fall into, often without realizing it, than a planned response.

   kinda like blaming Clinton for the bad economy in one breath, and then saying that he couldn’t actually affect the economy in another

You blamed Bush for the bad economy. I pointed out that the bad economy started in 1999, with Clinton in office, therefore, if you’re going to blame anyone then Clinton’s your man. I then followed up by saying that I think the government can only speed up or slow down trends in the economy, so I don’t really hold either Clinton or Bush to be at fault for much economically either. I just don’t think the government has much control over the economy; it’s always reactive instead of leading change.

Equating a downturn, and a long term failure of the economy on someone else’s watch is not particularly supportable. Further, you don’t believe your own argument, why should I?

   I believe that the president and government has little effect on the economy other than at the level of the individual consumer--and more precisely, how much money that consumer has to spend, whether it’s through tax rate or interest rate changes. The government can accelerate or retard trends, IMO, but not much more.

The Federal Interest Rate springs to mind, and that has a great effect on the economy, whether it is on the individual consumer ot not. Your basically saying that there is no effect except for where there is an effect. Further, you credit Bush for reviving the economy via taxes - either this is another you don’t believe the argument but you’ll use it pieces of propaganda, or you have successfully provided the counter to yourself.

Changing the interest rate can neither stop a sliding economy (see 2000-2003) nor halt an advancing one (see 1996-1999),

It didn’t try to halt an advancing economy, the intent was to stop it spiraling out of control and having disaster strike a a later point because of it. Sorry for the interruption....

   or else the economy would neither bull nor bear, but keep on one smooth course with the steady hand of the Federal Reserve Board at the helm. I did not state that Bush revived the economy; I said that “it’s rebounding thanks in part to his tax cuts.” Bush is helping things along, not singlehandedly as you seem to be wanting me to say.

You are splitting hairs with the “in part”. You claim he can’t be blamed for the downturn, but he can at least help the (alleged) upturn? Do you wish to amend that he can at least be blamed in part for the downturn (in theory, if you like)?

-->Bruce<--