 Off-Topic / Debate / 21936
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:17:24 GMT

  But Bush *has* engaged in Lay-favorable cronyism and protectionism, as Bruce
has already ably discussed.  That (presumably) separates
Bush-the-potential-cronyist from Carl-the-potential-rapist.  And you haven't
addressed McAuliffe in this regard at all.

Alas, Bruce hasn't discussed anything about it, other than to ask a leading
question and say that he won't provide any more information about it!

  Alas, thanks to Herr Bush's ubersecrecy, speculation is all that is possible.
However, since Bush has denied close friendship with Lay, despite the fact that
his close friendship is well-known, then it is reasonable to conclude that Bush
is deliberately omitting facts of their involvement.

I don't think it could be characterized as a close friendship in any way.  They
associated with each other in the business and political arenas; hardly one
being best man at the other's wedding.

But that's beside the point--people can be friends without wrongdoing occurring!

  But Bush has denied his employers (us) any chance to review the facts, since
he (and Cheney) have invoked "Executive Privilege" to cover up their energy
policy dealings.  Therefore we are unable to explore the matter, and Bush's
secrecy is what implicates him.  If there is nothing funny about his energy
policy meetings (funded by public money) then let the public review the
information.

I sort of agree with you, but not 100%.  First, the government should be able to
have meetings with citizens and corporations that are private.  Do you think
that a conversation that you've had with your representative, governor, senator,
or president should be a matter of public record?

Secondly, inquiry shouldn't always take place by all evidence opened to the
public; it should be by a qualified, multi-partisan group that is both able to
determine the legitimacy of the action and be discreet about the information
disclosed.  I understand executive privilege as it relates to national security
(which relates to some aspects of the power infrastructure in this country) and
corporate strategy (information shouldn't be disclosed that gives another
company a competitive advantage over one testifying).  So the public shouldn't
have review of the information in all situations.

I'd say that the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission,
and 11 Congressional panels into Enron qualifies in my mind as the right bodies
to investigate that wrongdoing.  I guess they really stuck those charges to
Bush...

  Are you accusing McAuliffe of insider trading?  That's libel, unless you can
back it up.  Let's hear your evidence.  If you are not accusing him, then please
restate the point of that paragraph.

Huh?  Did I accuse anyone of anything, other than the well-established fact that
Terry McAuliffe invested $100K and cashed out an $18 million profit not long
before the company went bankrupt, ruining many investors and employees?
Liberals are the ones who always talk about how evil it is that some people make
big profits while others get ruined in a bankruptcy; where's the outcry?

And if accusations are libel, then I see you taken to court by some Republicans
in your future too.  Smearing is libel; making reasonable inquiries into
potential wrongdoing is not.  Like you equating Bush's relationship with Ken Lay
as evidence of wrongdoing on his part.

  Taxation is the service charge we pay for citizenship.

Yes it is, and thus is necessary.  It is also a reduction of freedom.  Taxes
should be set to the lowest possible point at which the government can
adequately fulfill its responsibilities, as dictated by the Constitution and
other laws of the land.

I'm still waiting for him to make the correct call on *any* front.

Color me not surprised--I think you'd fault his choice of Value Meal at
McDonalds.

Best regards,
Carl