 Off-Topic / Debate / 21876
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:14:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   Judicial fiat is how we have Bush as president if that’s the way you want to look at it, so I’m not sure what you point is when you try to use an example of a proposition that was doomed legally from the word go. What, the judiciary should stand by if 59% of the electorate decide to ship all the Japanese off to Manzanar again?

Yeah, just like all those media recounts showed that Gore still lost. We all know that election laws don’t matter when Democrats are on the losing side...

Absolutely not. It is the job of the judiciary to evaluate the constitutionality of laws passed through proper democratic or representational means. That means following proper channels--court, district court, appelate court, Supreme Court--not a “mediation” where one side isn’t represented.

   And the border patrol should be beefed up by the federal government, not the states.

But the Feds aren’t doing their job for it, so the states have to try something... (I certainly hold Bush to blame for the sorry state of INS and the Border Patrol. That is absolutely, totally his fault for caving into the PC police at the expense of national security.)

   You’ll have to give me a link on that one (but if it happened, I suppose it is payback for George senior’s hate and fearmongering, if you will recall his dirty deed on that account). Further, that would not have been the action of the central Democratic party (or the Democratic party at all), just as the recall in California has nothing to do with the central Republican party (but still the local Republican party).

You can find a Real Audio of it at:

https://secure.mediaresearch.org/news/reality/2000/Fax20001026.html

The worst line of it was James Byrd’s daughter saying:

“So when Governor George W. Bush refused to support hate crimes legislation, it was like my father was killed all over again.”

Don’t get me started on the DNC and Terry “Global Crossing is different than Enron” McAuliffe, either...

   The same Enron that was championed by Bush and Cheney that put them in the position they were to screw things up in the first place, yes. Don’t confuse running for cover like a cockroach when the light starts shining on all the skullduggery done in the dark with innocence of complicity in creating the problem.

Championed by everyone, and they gave as much money to Democrats as Republicans. Still didn’t do them a bit of good!

   No, the economy that Dubya has driven into the ground worse and worse is the one I’m refering to. You acknowledge that the tech sector was overvalued, so how is that Clinton’s fault that people came to their senses?

Yes, overvalued through exuberant stupidity of investors who don’t know about revenue or price/earnings ratios. Not really the fault of any President, nor can a President particularly have much effect on the economy except through tax increases and cuts. Bush has made the correct steps to try to stimulate the economy, and there’s plenty in the world still trying to keep it down. But it’s rebounding thanks in part to his tax cuts.

(Probably we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.)

Best regards, Carl