 Off-Topic / Debate / 21907
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:50:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   Reality is what it is, the immigration process is not cheap or easy, I have many friends and relatives who have gone through it, and are currently going through it. I am all for making it cheaper and easier, but not abolishing it. The other reality is that the majority of people illegally in the country here in California are from Mexico, and they are poor. Middle class Mexican immigrants tend to obey the laws. I would argue that a system where poor people have to risk their lives to come to a country where they do hard menial labor for horrible wages is racist and exploitive. There needs to be a better way.

Well-said. This country was built on immigration--I’m second-generation American myself. Legal immigration should be cheap, if not easy (we value dearly what we acquired dearly).

Immigration should be for the purpose of becoming an American citizen, with all the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, not getting on the dole. Otherwise they’re just squatters. How can someone be a good citizen when their first act in the country is to set foot within it illegally, and contribute nothing while only taking?

There’s also obviously a need for hard-working people willing to do manual labor, as demonstrated by supply and demand. It’s our responsibility to allow them to immigrate without risking their lives, and our responsibility to ensure that they are treated as citizens as long as they accept their responsibility back to our country.

Best regards, Carl