 Off-Topic / Debate / 21875
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:48:56 GMT

  IIRC, the no-fly zones were established by the US and UK, so they are
irrelevant to UN resolutions.  For that matter, Dubya himself hampered the
efforts of the UN to enforce its own resolutions when he made logically
impossible demands upon Hussein.

You may be correct about the no-fly zones being established by coalition forces,
but they were a condition of the cease-fire, and violation of a cease-fire is
more than sufficient reason to resume hostilities.

The UN wouldn't enforce anything except measures making the US contribute most
of its budget and any resolution against Israel anyway.  They hamper themselves
more than anyone else could!

  You're absolutely right, and for what it's worth, I'm certainly glad that
Hussein is essentially out of the picture.  But Dubya knew that "the good of the
Iraqi people" wouldn't be a successful rallying cry to preemptive war, so he
trumped up the Iraqi/nukes/Al-qaeda info to play upon US fears and xenophobia.
In short, no matter what good has come of the war, Dubya should be held
accountable (Dubya himself--not Rice, or Tenet, nor Powell, nor Rumsfeld, nor
Fleischer, etc.) for deliberately misleading the people he was appointed to
serve.

Maybe he should be held to the same standard about misleading the people as his
predecessor.

Speaking of Clinton:

"Let me tell you what I know. When I left office, there was a substantial amount
of biological and chemical material unaccounted for. That is, at the end of the
first Gulf War, we knew what he had. We knew what was destroyed in all the
inspection processes and that was a lot. And then we bombed with the British for
four days in 1998. We might have gotten it all; we might have gotten half of it;
we might have gotten none of it. But we didn't know. So I thought it was prudent
for the president to go to the U.N. and for the U.N. to say you got to let these
inspectors in, and this time if you don't cooperate the penalty could be regime
change, not just continued sanctions.

"I mean, we're all more sensitive to any possible stocks of chemical and
biological weapons. So there's a difference between British -- British
intelligence still maintains that they think the nuclear story was true. I don't
know what was true, what was false. I thought the White House did the right
thing in just saying, Well, we probably shouldn't have said that. And I think we
ought to focus on where we are and what the right thing to do for Iraq is now.
That's what I think."

Bill Clinton on Larry King Live (transcript:
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0307/22/lkl.00.html)

Wow, I agree with Clinton.  Man, it's cold for August.