 Off-Topic / Debate / 21902
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:41:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   California Recall: The Coup Inside a Circus

edit: I can’t quite dismiss this story as complete madness. There’s so much going on right now in terms of information consolidation that it’s hard to see the purposes of democracy winning out against the “Bush-ite, Murdoch, Clearwater, Right-Wing” media juggernaut. After all, a bloody coup is unnecessary when the people will just rollover for you, watching the right-wing take over on television! And speaking of rollover...

Yes, but what does Bush have to do with the recall of Davis? This is a local mania of the Republican party, who have finally figured out that they can abuse the recall procedures against the Democratic party rather than their own.

While I agree that this is much more of a local issue than a federal issue, I just can’t understand how there can be over 2 million “right-wing” conspirators. My experience has been universal disdain for Davis. Pretty hard to support this guy when he single handedly tripled peoples DMV fees. If Republicans take over Sacramento it will be solely because the Democratic party chose to support Davis rather than rally behind a competent candidate. Personally I am still really amped about having the govinator!

Actually, the Democrats kept control over Sacramento because the Republicans chose to run Bill Simon rather than rally behind a competent candidate. Now that this turned out to be a disaster (in more ways than one) they want to invalidate their pathetic performance and try again via misuse of the recall procedure, something that they have abused in the past. Which is not to say that it is illegal, just not really what the recall was intended for (it sets a really bad precedent).

That Davis isn’t liked does not change any of that. He wasn’t liked at election time, Simon was just disliked a lot more. Some of it is just bad press (Davis was not single-handedly responsible for tripling the DMV fees for example, it was something agreed to by both parties and now the Democrats are trying to change that for admittedly political reasons).

Ahhhnold. This is a pattern in politics that I’m forever skeptical of. A new face without a track record so that people can project their wants onto him so that he appears to be the perfect candidate...until he actually has to open his mouth (though to me, his very strong connection to Pete Wilson is not a recommendation - perhaps it is the opposite for you, which scanning down below and figuring you for a 187 supporter, is probably the case).

Davis quote “This recall is a bunch of sour grapes by a bunch of losers”

He was dead on with that - of course, he was simultaneously just as guilty with his own statement (you gotta get someone else who doesn’t have anything at stake to say it for you). :-)

“I’m really not going to miss this guy” quote from Scott Costello (one of those losers)

Same here, but it’s kinda beside the point. :-)

   Given Dubya any kind of credit on this is overestimating his abilities - all he views California as is a a bottomless money pit for donations to his campaign funds. Why any Californian would give a dime to Bush is beyond me since he screws over the state (and the donaters) every chance he gets in revenge for California having better sense than to vote for either Bush.

Bruce, I am sure you caught that whole issue about the further restrictions on the border patrol, want to talk about screwing California. With a handicapped border patrol, and local principalities that would rather give drivers licences, free health care, and schooling to illegal aliens it won’t be long before we live in mexifornia.

Ummmmm, where did we get California from? Mind you, my next statement would be that the state went from 15,000 to 100,000 people in the year after it went to the U.S., so it isn’t like there were ever that many Mexicans here in the first place. But it was actually Mexifornia, and the connections to Mexico remain (if you have a problem with furriners, you had best live elsewhere than California).

I blame Bush for turning a blind eye to
   the issue of illegal immigration, an issue he is very familiar with from his home state. I blame Davis and the rest of the idiots in Sacramento for giving away freebee’s to illegal immigrants every time we turn around. I was not an economics major, but this seems to make sense to me: Business leaves the state poorer class moves in equals poor economy.

Business leaves the state, jobs leave the state, workers leave the state. Besides, I don’t understand the idea of having a bunch of sick people around spreading disease. Treat them, and if they are illegal, do something about it (but business wants cheap labor, so guess what happens) and do something about the borders. Everything else is cheap posturing. I say bow to reality and give them work permits and tax ‘em proper like everyone else. Either that or pay to toss ‘em and keep ‘em out. Both have their advantages and problems.

-->Bruce<--