 Off-Topic / Debate / 21905
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:34:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   Bruce, I am sure you caught that whole issue about the further restrictions on the border patrol, want to talk about screwing California. With a handicapped border patrol, and local principalities that would rather give drivers licences, free health care, and schooling to illegal aliens it won’t be long before we live in mexifornia.

Come again? Wasn’t California part of Mexico in a not-so-distant past?

Sure, over 100 years ago, before a war was fought and the area was in essence sold to the US.

   I blame Bush for turning a blind eye to the issue of illegal immigration, an issue he is very familiar with from his home state. I blame Davis and the rest of the idiots in Sacramento for giving away freebee’s to illegal immigrants every time we turn around. I was not an economics major, but this seems to make sense to me: Business leaves the state poorer class moves in equals poor economy.

Are you fully aware of how xenophobic that paragraph is, Scott? “Give me your POOR, your oppressed, your hungry...” I guess the words below Miss Liberty are only valid for some.

I feared when I made my post that I would be called a racist, however as a grandchild of immigrants who followed legal chanels to become citizens, I am in no way against immigration. Look we really have two choices either enforce immigration laws and get control of the border, or just eliminate all immigration laws and open wide the borders.

Reality is what it is, the immigration process is not cheap or easy, I have many friends and relatives who have gone through it, and are currently going through it. I am all for making it cheaper and easier, but not abolishing it. The other reality is that the majority of people illegally in the country here in California are from Mexico, and they are poor. Middle class Mexican immigrants tend to obey the laws. I would argue that a system where poor people have to risk their lives to come to a country where they do hard menial labor for horrible wages is racist and exploitive. There needs to be a better way.

As for the freebees, I am against them all together, here in California, school districts are required to give free breakfast to any child under 18. FREE BREAKFAST!!! Am I the only one who thinks that the government and public funds should not be used to form one huge buffet line? Cut out the freebees for everyone, eliminate the job eliminating legislations, and maybe employers would stop their exodus to neighboring states.

Scott C.