 Off-Topic / Debate / 21914
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:53:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:

   The sold portion is small when compared to the conquered portion, as you know. In any case, the main cities are not called St Francis, The Angels, or Sacrament: so you can’t deny that Mexico has shaped what you know as California now. If anything, the State’s name ought to have been changed to “Hot Springs” upon conquest :-)

I really can’t argue with that, you are quite correct, although I lived for a while in a city called La Habra, I still have no idea what that was supposed to mean in Spanish, Abra I think

I regret to say I don’t know any more than you on this, the word is unfamiliar to me. Rest assured, I’ll look into it and let you know ASAP what I find.

   I blame Bush for turning a blind eye to the issue of illegal immigration, an issue he is very familiar with from his home state. I blame Davis and the rest of the idiots in Sacramento for giving away freebee’s to illegal immigrants every time we turn around. I was not an economics major, but this seems to make sense to me: Business leaves the state poorer class moves in equals poor economy.

Are you fully aware of how xenophobic that paragraph is, Scott? “Give me your POOR, your oppressed, your hungry...” I guess the words below Miss Liberty are only valid for some.

I feared when I made my post that I would be called a racist,

I did not call you that. I called your original sentences xenophobic, which has a different meaning. They ARE xenophobic - as a matter of fact, they can’t be much more xenophobic than that. Now, if you are racist or not, it’s something beyond my interest.

I looked xenophobic up on dictionary.com to ensure that we were using the same definition, to me xenophobia and racism were very closely related, but I guess that is not entirely accurate

You’re guessing correctly: racism is based on race, xenophoby on passport (to put it simply).

   xen•o•phobe - A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

Using this definition I definitely don’t qualify, I spent some time in the southern US and let me tell you the worst thing about that area was it’s lack of diversity, mainly in my food choices. Foreign influence is the greatest thing about California, I would have it no other way. God bless diversity

Scott, please read carefully what I wrote: I called your sentence xenophobic, and it is xenophobic. In it, you’ve shown “unduly fear & contempt” of Mexicans who cross the border to work in your country, fear of “Mexifornia” and contempt because they do not seek for citizenship/residence thru what you perceive as the correct means.

I think that legalization should be attempted by foreign workers, whenever that is a legal requirement; I just happen not to agree with the need for such formalities in the first place, which leaves me in the very uncomfortable position of advocating a law I dislike.

   snip
   As a non-american, I can’t ask for more than what I perceive in these words of yours, a coherent policy. I can however feel stunned at comments like yours: you specifically named Mexicans as something to avoid, when you say you’re “afraid of Mexifornia”. Face it: legal or illegal, Mexican immigrants will be the vast majority of the Californian in less than a century.

snip
   As I perceive all borders to be anachronical in terms of human migration, I can’t really say much on the subject. In my POV, the mere establishment of legal vs illegal channels is odd, as the legislation on human settlement is, in essence, xenophobic.

I imagine by a loose definition that could also be extended to other states, as well as countries. If I advocated restrictions on Oregonians migrating to California, it could also be considered xenophobic.

Precisely.

   You really have to spend some quality time here in California to appreciate what is going on. The city I grew up in was about 75% Mexican, a good portion of my family is Mexican. You say that Mexican immigrants will be the majority in less than a century, I say here in southern California we are nearly there. That, however, is not the point. I mention Mexico in a discussion of illegal immigration because here in southern California they are the source of the problem; if I lived in Florida I might be complaining of Cubans or Puerto Ricans; if I lived up north I may complain about Canadians. None of this is to exclude a particular nationality, but because I want to stop the problems that illegal immigration pose. At the heart of it, illegal aliens are law breakers, they may be nice, hard working people trying to make a better life for themselves, but they are willing to violate American law to suit the own purposes. This unlawful state makes many of the people, here in California live in horrible conditions. Families of 12 living in one garage is not uncommon. These people spend years hiding from immigration, and working terrible jobs, because they cannot legally work The plight of the illegal immigrant is really quite abysmal.

And yet, legalization is nothing but a formality. Or, if you think of labour as a tradable good, legalization is a protectionist measure.

   As for the freebees, I am against them all together, here in California, school districts are required to give free breakfast to any child under 18. FREE BREAKFAST!!! Am I the only one who thinks that the government and public funds should not be used to form one huge buffet line? Cut out the freebees for everyone, eliminate the job eliminating legislations, and maybe employers would stop their exodus to neighboring states.

If I were cynic, I could say “screw the californian kids, they are likely to attain obesity anyway, so why feed them breakfast?”

lol, this is great, you make a great point. Litigious Californians fatten the kids up in elementary school, then sue fast food companies for obesity.

OTOH, I’d feel much more comfortable reciting a pledge with my belly full - it could be seen as a bribe! :-P

   Pedro (cynic, BTW)

Scott C. (every bit as cynical) :)

...I saw it coming! :-)

Pedro