 Off-Topic / Debate / 21957
Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:35:34 GMT

First, an apology: real life interferes with a lengthier reply on your message on things that we will never agree on; sorry for the lengthy snips.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

(lengthy snip)

   That is a problem with TV news in general - and why I don’t bother with it for the most part. It’s those outside of traditional liberalism and conservatism that have cause for complaint.

Hear, hear!

   Geez, I am chagrined. I looked closely at he study that I was ready to bludgeon you with and it was from 1980--hardly applicable to our debate (ouch!)!

Well, who knows, you could still be right, so I shall not gloat.

Many thanks!

   Well, that is what I meant. Interesting, but I wasn’t about to do the work! :-)

Much more work than I would (or could) tackle!

   I think this more significant information, but at the same time, democrat does not equal liberal, and republican does not equal conservative for any given individual. The question needed to be, do you view yourself as a liberal, conservative, or moderate?

There’s the rub. Most of us are probably not conveniently labelled, and the labels themselves usually refer only to the most extreme examples. I favor smaller government, responsible gun ownership (if you don’t use them responsibly or if you use them criminally don’t expect to have them, otherwise you’re free to own guns), corporate accountability (and culpability at the executive level), strong punishment for criminals, moderate restriction on abortion (no late term abortions and society should try to reduce the number of abortions--if you’re going to have sex be responsible about it), using government land for personal recreation, blah blah blah. I’m probably a Teddy Roosevelt-style Republican, more than about anything else.

By human nature, most of us probably view ourselves as moderate, because we’re all reasonable, right? Right?

   Again, what really depends is on how they present the news itself (as opposed to the op/ed page).

Agreed. There are plenty of fair individuals out there, who would report objectively without preference for their perspective. And that’s my whole point, that it’s not an organized, malicious thing like some conservatives whine.

BTW, Bias is worth a read, and his point is that there’s no dialog or self-examination about it by the media. You can get it for $2.50 used on Amazon, and then you don’t even have to support the author!

   But I already said that I acknowledge individual cases of bias manifest themselves in both directions, people being what they are. As to the cases you mention, I’d have to see the specifics to be able to comment, but they hardly indicate some broad pattern regardless (you basically conceded that I can find them going back the other direction, so I’m going to be lazy and not bother!).

No problem. How about this: I’ll still believe the media has a liberal bias, you won’t, and I won’t use the term “liberal media” in here, but am free to point out a specific example of media bias, such as opinion reported as news? (And if you’re so inclined, you’ll give up “vast right-wing conspiracy” as a token of good will. ;-)

I must run, but I’ll possibly address more tomorrow. It’s getting to family time. And you won’t convince me that debating here is as good a use of my time as playing with my 1-year-old!

Best regards, Carl