 Off-Topic / Debate / 21956
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:21:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:
   See http://www.junkscience.com/.

Although I am generally hesitant to dismiss sources as biased (since to do so does not automatically invalidate the assertions of such a source), this website has been widely debunked as a distributor of pro-industry, pro-conservative propaganda in the guise of science. I’ll see about providing links to such discussions, but I admit that I don’t have them handy. Stay tuned.

   Similarly, to confirm the issue of global warming, or to blame it solely on human activities, is bad science. Realistically, we can’t accurately predict the weather for the next week. Why do we think we can predict it for the next hundred years?

Trends can certainly be predicted, and no one is blaming it exclusively on humans. The assertion is that humans have a measureable impact upon global warming, to such an extent that the human impact should be reduced when possible.

   I’ve never understood the liberal hatred of logging companies.

Straw man. I have no reason to support a caricture of my position.

OK, then don’t. But that also means that any argument that you make from personal experience is a straw man argument as well, and thus inadmissible.

Not at all. I’m pointing out that, since I don’t hate logging companies, and since liberals in general don’t hate logging companies (though some certainly do), your caricature does not represent the true liberal argument. Therefore, a liberal’s failure to defend your caricature has no bearing on the validity of the liberal’s true argument.

The position might more accurately be stated as follows:

Liberals hate aspects of corporate logging policies, namely the practice of clear-cutting, of old-growth destruction, and strong-arm lobbying to ensure legislation sharply skewed to favor the logging industry, such as Dubya’s current policy proposal.

   Speaking of red herrings, I’m not sure what you’re trying to show with your point--irony in tax dollars paying for both destruction and reconstruction (omitting the fact that ‘twixt the two was the accomplishment of the goal of topping Hussein’s regime)? We’ve done the same thing since the Marshall Plan, and judging from the paradises of Europe and Japan it works.

Perhaps my reading of the Marshall plan is incomplete. Point me to the section of the Marshall plan that endorses falsification of intelligence data to justify pre-emptive invasion of a sovereign nation against the will and wishes of nearly the entire world.

If the goal of ousting Saddam was so self-evidently valid, then why was it necessary to fabricate information to justify the invasion? Either the cause was just or it was not; in falsifying data (and through subsequent dissembling and equivocation) Dubya has invalidated any moral claim he might have had for going to war.

   And should munitions and reconstruction both be undertaken by the government?

In my view, the Bush administration should fund the entire effort in this case, since it was only through their deception that the war came to pass.

Dave!