 Off-Topic / Debate / 21942
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:27:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:
   I knew it!

   That just shows the agenda behind the study. I thought the scientific method was to formulate a hypothesis, test, and revise the hypothesis accordingly, not to formulate a hypothesis and bend the facts into it.

First of all, you’re inferring an underlying agenda simply because you don’t like the results of the study. To verify the presence of an agenda, you have to do more than simply object to the findings. Secondly, where in the article to you see evidence that the researchers altered their data? As a useful counterpoint, the Bush administration deleted big portions of a recent EPA report on global warming, specifically to exclude data that would identify human use of fossil fuels as a key contributor to increased levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. So in that case, your tax dollars were used to modify scientific findings to achieve an industry-friendly end.

   I can’t believe my tax dollars paid for this BS!

Well, let’s be fair. Assuming a tax base of just 120 million citizens, you’re paying $.01 toward that study. And consider that your your tax dollars are also being used to fund studies to allow the logging industry to cut down chunks of Federal forests, and your tax money is being used to pay Halliburton billions to rebuild a country that your tax dollars helped to destroy.

Dave!