 Off-Topic / Debate / 21947
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:06:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:

snip

   As a useful counterpoint, the Bush administration deleted big portions of a recent EPA report on global warming, specifically to exclude data that would identify human use of fossil fuels as a key contributor to increased levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. So in that case, your tax dollars were used to modify scientific findings to achieve an industry-friendly end.

Tax dollars were spent to ignore bad science. Measures of atmospheric temperatures since the 1970s show no change or slight cooling. Measurable warming in the 20th century occurred primarily before 1940. Most greenhouse gas emissions occurred after 1940.

Whereas I’m not ‘chicken little’ who believes that if we don’t start recycling every single item and stop driving cars right now the earth is going to spontaneously die in the very near future, you can’t sit there and say that the weather patterns over the last 10-15 years aren’t troubling.

From my grandfather to my lifetime, where I live has experienced a season called “Winter”. Even when I was young there would be snow on the ground from late Nov/early Dec to Marchish. I’m only 36, but I noticed a change in the seasons--winters consist of a few days of snow storms followed by ‘unseasonably’ warm temeratures in which all that snow disappears.

See, it’s the ‘unseasonable’ temperatures that should get the concern going. I mean once or twice is a unique phenomenon, but every winter is getting warmer. Sure it could be a natural cycle of the earth, but aggravating it just doesn’t do a wee bit of good!

This type of ‘logic’ is much like some smokers I know--“My pappy smoked until he was 92 and he died of old age!” as if that’s suppose to be ‘carte blanc’ reasoning that smoking doesn’t harm. I don’t need a study to know that if you smoke, you have a higher risk for detriment to your health. Just as I don’t need a “pollution specifically impacts the environment in these specific ways” to say that, “Hey, perhaps driving to the corner store and home every time I need something maybe isn’t a good idea--maybe I should make a shopping list and make one trip every so often, or better yet, if the store’s truly around the corner, maybe I’ll walk today!”

Scientific studies can say a great many things. Saying that the earth is colder now than it was 50 years ago? Is that why the icecaps are shrinking?

Well, let’s be fair. Assuming a tax base of just 120 million citizens, you’re paying $.01 toward that study.

True enough. But if $.01 can be wasted for garbage like this “study,” then on what else should it be wasted?

   And consider that your your tax dollars are also being used to fund studies to allow the logging industry to cut down chunks of Federal forests, and your tax money is being used to pay Halliburton billions to rebuild a country that your tax dollars helped to destroy.

I’ve never understood the liberal hatred of logging companies. After all, if they cut everything down, they’re out of business. If it takes 30 years for a pine tree to mature to the point at which it can be cut down, that means that they have to have 29 other trees when they cut one tree down to ensure that they’re in business.

One of the best hiking and climbing places in this area is managed by a timber company, and it’s gorgeous. Every now and then you see a tree stump, or a tree marked for removal, but you have to look for them.

Don’t bother with the study, let ‘em log. And stop killing trees for garbage like the Psychological Bulletin.

And there are alotta ‘bald’ hills in BC where the hiking is not so beautiful. I wonder if the lumber companies would have cut out the ‘clear cutting’ on their own, or did those dastardly gov’t regulations ‘twist their arms’ such that they had to adopt better logging practices?

Of course, I also wish the gov’t would allow hemp to be grown, but, eh, whatever.

As for Iraq, there’s a lot more to build than was there be destroyed and then rebuilt.

Tax dollars at work--I’ll remind you that you funded all of that--the destruction as well as the ‘now let’s put it all back together so the saboteurs can blow it up again!’

It makes my head swim just thinking about it.

I have a spare bedroom for anyone in the LUGNET area who feels like jumping ship from America up to Canada.

   Best regards, Carl

Dave K