 Off-Topic / Debate / 21972
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:32:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   Too bad Bush added the line, “...Against any threat, real, imagined, or constructed out of thin air.” :-)

But what doesn’t the guy misquote, eh? :)

   The majority of voters in the DC area are black - whether or not they are bureasucrats and government employees I couldn’t say, but since even those need goods and services, I tend to doubt it.

I’m not sure about voters, but the population is 63% white, 26% black (higher than national average), 5% Asian, and 6% Hispanic (http://www.cityrating.com/citystats.asp?city=Washington&state=DC). I don’t know how to go about calculating the areas of Virginia and Maryland surrounding, but it’s probably safe to say that the Federal Government and supporting businesses are the largest employers. I think they voted about 90% for Gore in 2000, but I’m too lazy to look it up for sure.

   I don’t have a problem with you not wearing a seat belt as long as you foreswear any public assistance whatsoever if you get into an accident, your fault or not, and the foreswearance of all those in the car with you (even if you aren’t driving, you can hurtle into another passenger or be ejected from the car into someone else). I should note that authorities may still not be satisfied, figuring that you are still endangering others, regardless of financial liablity.

That used to be called taking responsibility... there I go, pining for an idealized past again.

I also fully support insurance companies having different rates for seat belt wearers and non-wearers.

   We created one monster by our arrogance and then had to create another to counter the first when it went out of control (the second then promptyly went out of control, also). Trying to build up flakes like the Shah or Hussein in command was a mistake.

And THAT is why I don’t believe in T. Roosevelt’s expansionist philosophy, and would prefer to see a policy of non-interventionism, if not isolationism! Or at least taking care of things at home first... It just seems like a never-ending cycle of US intervention to help one petty dictator against another and then have to deal with the one we helped when he gets too big for his britches.

As an ironic sidenote, at one point during the Iran-Iraq war Iran was flying F-14 Tomcats sold by the US against Iraqi troops supported by Bell gunships, you guessed it, sold by the US.

   Inasmuch as I doubt Gore would have dragged us into an extremely ill-considered war with Iraq, let me politely note that lucky stars don’t seem to exist. Should I mention Enron going out of control? :-)

No, Gore would have bored Hussein into submission, with minimal casualties!

Best regards, Carl