 Off-Topic / Debate / 21941
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:57:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:
   I knew it!

I love the part where Hitler and Mussolini are termed conservatives. They *fully* believed in the cornerstones of conservatism, smaller government, free markets, less regulation, the sacredness of human life, etc.

I think the belief in the ‘sacredness of human life’ applies to more than conservatives’ I’ve been told that I’m a Canadian Liberal, but I ‘believe’ in the sacredness of life. Whether the other points are ‘just conservative’, i.e. smaller gov’t and free markets, I’ll let others tackle that one. Though the last I checked, it was the Libertarians who believe in the truly ‘free market’--I dunno, I’ll leave it to ++Lar to expound on that particular point.

   That just shows the agenda behind the study. I thought the scientific method was to formulate a hypothesis, test, and revise the hypothesis accordingly, not to formulate a hypothesis and bend the facts into it.

I can’t believe my tax dollars paid for this BS!

If I were to talk about the other things that were quoted in the article, like:

“ “This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes,” ”

Sounds like Hitler--“The Jews are at fault!” It also sounds like Dubya the moron, “The Iraqis are at fault!”

Further, the quotation:

“ All of them “preached a return to an idealised past and condoned inequality”. ”

Sounds familiar thru the ‘conservative’ past “Lets return to a ‘better time’ I’d throw in the quote from ‘The American President’ but I can’t remember it off the top of my head. Lets see if someone put it on IMDB.com...

Didint’ find it, though I found this one--it’s sort of parenthetical, but, eh, I liked it--

“ Lewis Rothschild: You have a deeper love of this country than any man I’ve ever known. And I want to know what it says to you that in the past seven weeks, 59% of Americans have begun to question your patriotism.

President Andrew Shepherd: Look, if the people want to listen to---

Lewis Rothschild: They don’t have a choice! Bob Rumson is the only one doing the talking! People want leadership, Mr. President, and in the absence of genuine leadership, they’ll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They’re so thirsty for it they’ll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there’s no water, they’ll drink the sand.

President Andrew Shepherd: Lewis, we’ve had presidents who were beloved, who couldn’t find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don’t drink the sand because they’re thirsty. They drink the sand because they don’t know the difference. ”

The people didn’t know the difference. It’s amazing when you ask the American people about 9/11 and over half say it was the Iraqis.

They don’t know the difference.

In the absense of genuine leadership, people whill follow whomever steps up to the plate, and right now you have Dubya the moron leading the way to hell and you’re all quite content to go along for the ride ‘cause, as the surveys show, you don’t know any better. Sure Hoppy gets on here, and Bruce and even Dave! They point out fallacies and problems and such-like, and we sit here and talk and debate and obfuscate and rattle on, but the motor home is still heading for the cliff.

Happy trails people.

   Carl

Dave K