 Off-Topic / Debate / 21949
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:33:27 GMT

   Whereas I’m not ‘chicken little’ who believes that if we don’t start recycling every single item and stop driving cars right now the earth is going to spontaneously die in the very near future, you can’t sit there and say that the weather patterns over the last 10-15 years aren’t troubling.

And I’m not a moron who believes that nothing we do on this planet affects the world, or that we should only think of next week instead of next year, next century, next decade, which is another reason that I’m not a complete libertarian. People can make bad choices, and society should do its part to keep them from having long-lasting effects to others.

   From my grandfather to my lifetime, where I live has experienced a season called “Winter”. Even when I was young there would be snow on the ground from late Nov/early Dec to Marchish. I’m only 36, but I noticed a change in the seasons--winters consist of a few days of snow storms followed by ‘unseasonably’ warm temeratures in which all that snow disappears.

Ah, so you’re wishing for a return to an idealized past, eh? And therefore... a conservative! Burn him! :)

   See, it’s the ‘unseasonable’ temperatures that should get the concern going. I mean once or twice is a unique phenomenon, but every winter is getting warmer. Sure it could be a natural cycle of the earth, but aggravating it just doesn’t do a wee bit of good!

You make very good points. It’s like my argument about the economy--it’s a natural cycle (for instance, Greenland was arable land several hundred years ago), but we shouldn’t aggravate it.

I believe that conservatives should also believe in conserving--including nature (it’s intellectual dishonesty not to). To me, this means wise use, whether it’s limiting chemicals in the water, selective deer hunting, or planned logging. For example, if the oil reserves in the ANWR can be drilled with minimal impact to the environment, do it, if not, stay the heck out.

I deplore the global warming alarmists who won’t admit that there might be other possibilities besides human impact on climate, and won’t accept the argument that they might be wrong (but we should be careful just in case). A good example of those are the anti-SUV crusaders. Two good examples showing that are that many SUVs carry larger number of passengers and hence get better mileage per passenger--why encourage carpooling and disparage vehicles capable of doing it?--and that most new SUVs pollute less than 10-year-old cars.

Just my 0.02.

   And there are alotta ‘bald’ hills in BC where the hiking is not so beautiful. I wonder if the lumber companies would have cut out the ‘clear cutting’ on their own, or did those dastardly gov’t regulations ‘twist their arms’ such that they had to adopt better logging practices?

I’m sorry for you. BC’s got so much beautiful green land, too.

Honestly, I don’t know what caused it--I just know that around here (Tennessee) the lumber companies are among the most responsible people imaginable for what they do to the environment.

I think a large part of it is simply that the companies own the land, and feel obligated to care for it because it’s a thing of value to them. It’s easy to ruin the land when the government owns it (which is a good argument against logging public lands; many EPA Superfund sites are ones that the government owns and let companies scourge) but hard when it’s yours.

   I have a spare bedroom for anyone in the LUGNET area who feels like jumping ship from America up to Canada.

But how many LEGOs can it hold?

Best regards, Carl