 Off-Topic / Debate / 21962
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:24:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:
It takes arrogance to think that you can waste more water than other people.  What
makes you so special?  Even if there is no potable water shortage in your area,
areas nearby may be stressed.

That's what makes me mad, that other people are making me waste water because
they know better than me what my situation is!

Or you unscrew the clamp from your wallet and spend the money on a 1.6 flush toilet
that works.  There are many out there, you just may have to pay more for them than
the cheap crap (<g>) you have now.

According to the plumber I consulted, the money would be better spent on a
pressure system.  The irony is that I went from an apartment with 3-gallon-flush
toilet that I put bricks in to save water to "water-saving" toilets that don't
work...

(snip)

Maybe you need less fiber in your diet?  ;-)

Or, as Dave pointed out, need to be less full of... :)

I'm a fan of the local water charges - the more city water you use, the higher the
charge per gallon.  I like looooong showers.  But I've shortened them since moving
here.  If I kept taking really long ones, I'd expect to pay more, since I am
increasing the stress on the total system more (note, however, that the complex I am
renting in requires in-ground sprinklers fed by wells, so no gardening water is city
water, and I have installed a hose tap on the pump for various rinsing duties
outside).

Me too.  Financially penalizing usage is usually the best alternative, those who
use most pay most and it inspires frugality.

If you were a Republican, I'd say Pot...Kettle...Black.  The Republicans like
controlling people as much as the Democrats.  I'll take the Democrat's version over
the Republican.  I have an extreme problem with a group that is trying to tell me
what I can/can't do in the privacy of my own home if I am not hurting anyone in the
process.

My beef's pretty much with, as they say around here, the guv'mint.  I used seat
belts as an example to Dave; another good example is airbags.  For "my own good"
there's a device in my car that I can't opt out of or control that may be lethal
to my child...

I maintain the political philosophy that most people want to be left the heck
alone, and the tendency of government to meddle is far too universal, I'm
afraid.

Best regards,
Carl