 Off-Topic / Debate / 21968
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:35:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
On what basis do you make this anecdotal assertion, and for what reason?
I'd like a name-by-name accounting of the PhD's that you deem non-
functional, and also *why* you deem them non-functional, so that I can
review your accusation.

Dave, that was awesome. Though honestly I think you're taking this a bit too
seriously.

  Ah, the perils of failing to include the 8^)

  Seriously, I'm not terribly caught up in the real-worldliness of PhDs, though
I admit that the cliche about absentminded professors kind of gets on my nerves,
too.

Now, the motorcyclists themselves get into just as many accidents as they did
before. However, whereas before people would get into an accident and flat-
out die, now the helmet keeps them alive enough to need to mooch off of
medicare and whatnot. So it may actually be completely the opposite. You'd
have to do a study.

  Hmm.  That's interesting, and I confess that I hadn't heard that point before.
Sounds like the oft-touted Law of Unintended Consequences.

I tried three different ways to ask politely if you're insane, but they all
came out as insults, so I deleted them.

This is what makes these debates so priceless. But let's hope you put that in
for comedic flare rather than rhetorical or emotional intent debate-wise.

  Yeah, I think Carl's sharp enough to spot my unbridled hilarity, despite the
tragedy of his Conservative Neurosis!  If it was perceived as a serious insult,
however, then I apologize.

     Dave!