 Off-Topic / Debate / 21964
Re: Finally--a use of public funding that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:04:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:
You're welcome.  And I notice that you didn't attempt to refute my answer.

What's the point?  You dislike Bush, I think he's doing a decent job, there's
no common ground on the issue to make it worth discussing.

If you truly think that he's doing a decent job, then I agree that there is
nothing I can say to you that would make a difference.

My point in including the Rove quote was to demonstrate his perception that
increased education leads to liberalization of viewpoint, which is to say
that a liberal viewpoint can be indicative of greater education.  If Rove
The Puppetmaster feels this way, I wonder how many other Conservative feel
the same.

Red herring--bringing up a quote by one conservative and attributing it to
all.

Be careful with your misattributions.  I *wondered* how many other Conservatives
might share Rove's viewpoint, but you seem content to equate my speculation to a
statement of fact.  Additionally, the opinions of Rove, the man with his hand up
the puppet's patootie, are expressly significant to the debate.

It is pretty funny, though, because it reminds me of some professors that I
had in college who were educated to the hilt with multiple Ph.D.s who could
not have possibly functioned outside academia.

On what basis do you make this anecdotal assertion, and for what reason?  I'd
like a name-by-name accounting of the PhD's that you deem non-functional, and
also *why* you deem them non-functional, so that I can review your accusation.

As for cowboy diplomacy, I fully support it, as long as it follows this
guideline: "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we
shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend,
oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
If we have to do it alone, we will.

Very nice, but it has nothing to do with Bush-league diplomacy, which calls for
pre-emptive action based on deceit and fabricated evidence.

Good example: seat belts.  I wear one
because I know a bit about both physics and safety statistics.  If I don't
wish to wear one, why should the government give a rat's patootie?

Because, after you're brain damaged and/or paralyzed from the neck down, and you
require $500K+ in annual medical costs, you're likely to seek government
assistance in some form to help with costs.

I'm thanking my lucky stars that it's Bush in office instead of Gore!

I tried three different ways to ask politely if you're insane, but they all came
out as insults, so I deleted them.  Instead, I'll simply ask:
On what basis do you perceive Bush to be preferable to Gore?

     Dave!