 Off-Topic / Debate / 21901
Re: Unexplained power outages in New York, Toronto, and other cities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:21:47 GMT

Pedro Silva wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
[snip]
The solar panels that are illegal for me to use on my
house, if used by everyone, would produce enough excess energy to power the
cites.

No they wouldn't, since all solar powered systems are pretty much unreliable.

Not the ones that are illegal for me to purchase. They are based on the same
technology NASA uses for its satellites.

Which are conveniently located outside the Earth's atmosphere, and therefore not
subject to weather. Besides, they are designed for many charge/discharge cycles
a day, since most satelites orbit the Earth more than once daily - the "night"
discharge, in their case, is less worrying, as it represents less time and can
be backed by smaller batteries.

Satelite solar panels also don't have to deal with atmosphere...

I'm sure it's changed now, but some 15 years ago, I hear solar panels
were actually an energy loser, that their expected energy production for
their lifetime was less than the energy used to manufacture and ships
them.

Solar panels have some pretty serious limitations.

Of course one could point out that all energy is solar.... :-) :-) :-)

Frank