 Off-Topic / Debate / 21927
Re: Unexplained power outages in New York, Toronto, and other cities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
Kind of odd. Everyone might want to check the news. They say it is not a
terrorist attack. Aweful strange though. Isn't having a centralized power grid
great. Idiot government regulations...

-Mike Petrucelli

So now here we are a few days after the fact and a few things are becoming
clearer (politically)

To start (and I have no idea of this is going to be a one point rant or a many
point rant so I'll start by saying 'to start', but there may be no second...),
what is it with the Ontario political opposition 'in hysterics' because Ernie
Eves didn't get on the radio/tely in the first few minutes of this situation to
'calm and assuage the fears' of Ontarians...

Look you yippy politicians, I don't need Ernie nor anyone else to 'hold my hand'
during a power outage.  I'm not a Conservative Apologist by any stretch of the
imagination, but condeming the current gov't 'cause they didn't get themselves
on the air within minutes is stupidity at its finest.  If Ernie says he was in
contact with Emergency Response Forces and such, and doing his job, then why
distract him so he can make a "well people, the power's out and we don't know
how long it's going to be but don't worry".  I already got that from the news
and the DJ's and such--let the guy do his job which is to get Ontario working
again, not holding our hands in a time of crisis.

Sure New York would be a little different right now.  If I was in New York on
Thursday and the power went off, guess what I'd think right off the bat?  But
comparing the New York mayor assuring his people to Ernie--get off it!

And then the 'blame game'.  Few things I disliked about that--people
'hypothesising' as to that happened--lightning hit Pennsylvania, lightning hit
Niagara Falls, Nuclear reactos going up and such--if you don't know something,
shut up!  Especially when you're in a position of power, such as, say, an
electedd member.  Rumours start anyway, but getting on CNN and yapping about how
a 'nuclear reactor probably got struck by lightning'...  Nice vetting before
speaking, people!

Then it's "It's Canada's fault!"  "No, it's America's fault!"  "No, it's
Canada's!!!"  Not that I'm going to look for an apology (now that we know) from
all those yappy 'Mericans who were pointing their fingers in our direction with
that smug "Those darn Canadians!  First it's beef!  Then it's lumber!  And now
this!!"  Beond that, pointing fingers whilst still in the crisis--there's
intelligence in the highest form.  Where's that going to get you?  "Hey Biff!
We're both sinking in quicksand thanks to you!"  "No, it's you're fault that
we're here!"  "No! It's yours!"...  Idiots.

Eh, that's it for now.  There are still 'rolling blackouts' in Toronto (so I'm
told), but transit's running and Wonderland was open yesterday.

This particular thread is pretty good with the 'alternative sources of power'
and the political ramifications thereof.  Keep up the great conversation.

Dave K