 Off-Topic / Debate / 21928
Re: Unexplained power outages in New York, Toronto, and other cities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:27:07 GMT

Mike Petrucelli wrote:
No they would simply be dead. If an oil power plant were hit by an airplane or
earthquake or something as you suggest for a reason against breeder reactors, it
would cause a comparable explosion. Heck a simple propane storage facility about
16 miles from my house would level everything in 20 miles if it were somehow
accidentally detonated. The odds of that happing are about the same as a breeder
reactor suffering an extraordinary accident, which is to say the odds are better
that I will be struck by lightning and survive.

Natural gas storage is a pretty serious one. Back a while ago, the Navy
wanted to station some nuclear vessels in Boston. People were all up in
arms about the dangers. Someone pointed out that the natural gas
facility in South Boston was an easier target, and if it all went up at
once was the equivalent of a several megaton nuclear warhead...

Here's a cite with some information on the energy equivalent of an LNG
storage facility, see page 7 of 21:

http://www.rmi.org/images/other/S-EnergyJugular.pdf

Frank