 Off-Topic / Debate / 21920
Re: Unexplained power outages in New York, Toronto, and other cities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:43:27 GMT

Mike Petrucelli wrote:

[snip]

And extremely costly. Consider that by the time the solar panels would require
replacement, they still wouldn't have paid off their initial cost. Why else do
you think non-oil producing countries have not implemented the system? It's not
as if they'd gain anything from buying oil, other than paying less for the same
outcome.

Well I have done the math it would save my household about $10,000 over the
course of the solar panels lifetime versus the current electric bill.

OK, that's great.  But how much do you think it would cost you to cover your house in
enough panels to just break even on energy consumption?  If over $10K, what's the
point, except the feeling of self-reliance (nothing wrong with that), or the hope that
you produce enough excess to make up the cost difference?

Even if you used the super-secret-forbidden-NASA panels to do it?  Scratch that, if
you used them, it would probably cost millions to cover a house.

I'm all for the self-reliance, but you have to be able to afford it in the first
place.  Most people can't afford a 10kW solar array using "cheap" cells, I'd hate to
see what "forbidden" cells would run you.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/