 Off-Topic / Debate / 21894
Re: Unexplained power outages in New York, Toronto, and other cities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:13:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

Yet I can't help but wonder why the government covertly prevents the
de-centralization of power generation. They have to maintain their control
over the people I guess.

  There are plenty of reasons to be paranoid about the current administration,
but that sounds a little too paranoid for my tastes.

  I think that some of the main arguments against decentralization are:

1) The expense of switching from the existing system to the proposed one
2) The fact that the aggregate expense of such a system would likely vastly
    exceed the continued expense of the existing centralized system
3) The physical/mechanical limitations upon where and how power can be
    generated
4) The difficulties of upkeep of so many decentralized systems
5) The overwhelming financial interests of the corporations involved

5 is probably the biggest single reason, but the others are valid, as well.  You
would have to demonstrate that alternative methods of power
generation/distribution are (in the aggregate) more practical, cost-effective,
and persuasive than the current system.

     Dave!