 Off-Topic / Debate / 17494
Re: Brickshelf censorship policy rules.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 03:08:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kyle Henneberque writes:
<some snippage here>

I think we Europeans are not so weapon fanatic as the US appear in our eyes.
I am myself convinced school kids that are suddenly running amok have been
prepared to that by too much violence in the public like TV, videos and
PC-games.
As you say, it is how we over here appear to you.  The portrayal of these
instances by the media over there plays them up so much that one would
almost think it is a regular occurance.  The American media is just as bad
if not worse.

Weapons are bad, killing people is bad and a gun aiming through a window to
the street is bad as well and it IS harmful towards kids, if you ask me. • (Even
the more, when it is a so realistical image as in this case. A mionifig doing
the same is much more recognised as 'fiction'.
(Littelton and some other places names are burnt into our memories - now we
even have had our German Erfurt school amok with nearly 20 dead ....).

I would like to see guns banned out of the sight of children. (Exept for • news:
kids will recognice guns are serious dangerous there, while primitive
TV-series like the A-team only couse a high attraction for guns, which is a
really bad thing in my eyes. Lots of kids have difficulties to see what is
fiction and what reality they get used to the fact, that weapons are (better
'seem to be') helpful to solve your personal problems.)

I don't think things like TV, video games, or computer games are what lead
to these kids running around around doing these kinds of things.  I just
graduated from high school last semester, and out here in L.A., just about
everyone of us kids has seen some kind of death in computer games or movies
or TV.  As of yet, there haven't been any instances of kids running on any
rampages here in L.A.  I personally own the 007 Nintendo game and the
Rainbow Six series of games, and have seen more movies than I can count that
include killing, yet I haven't gone on a shooting rampage.

It's not that we need to stop showing kids images of violence of this kind.
I do find the ease with which toddlers or young kids(as in kindergarten or
1st grade kids) can see some of these things disturbing, but any sane
teenager can tell you that going on a shooting rampage is bad.  I have
always known that guns can kill people.  It's not the guns that are bad.  A
gun itself is nothing more than an assembly of metal pieces (well, okay,
plastic is getting big from Glock all the way to the new Walther).  It's the
people that are bad.  I have not killed anybody with a gun, and when I'm in
my house I can get to a loaded gun in less than a minute.  My father has
been a police officer for more than twenty-five years.  Ever since I was a
small child, my sister and I have been taught gun safety and how to properly
use a gun.  We also been taught by our parents the difference between right
and wrong, and had a sense of ethics instilled in us.

People try to shift blame to the violence in movies and games.  These venues
didn't tell Dylan Klebold or Eric Harris (the two Columbine students) to go
and kill their classmates.  Let's not forget who actually pulled the
trigger.  People try to say why these kids are doing things like this.  In
the words of Chris Rock on this very subject, "Crazy!  Can't we just say
crazy!"  These kids needed to be told in thier upbringing what is right and
what is wrong by thier parents.  Even then, in the words of my father and
some of his friends who have been in law enforcement for some time, "Some
people are just messed up." Most cops would actually be a bit more colorful,
but the point is there.

Sorry, about the length of this rant.  I just had to get this out.  If I had
tried to say something like this in school, the administration would have
had me talking to a counselor so fast it would make my head spin.

But in this point I might be in a strong miniority. And this is clearly
getting off topic in this thread. I just wanted to explain my point of view.

So a logical and 'common sense' statement is grounds for the liberal brain
washers to harass you. It really bothers me to hear you say that you do not
wish to present a well thought out opinion because of them. That is counter to
everything the United States is supposed to stand for.

I have set all FUT to off-topic.debate.  I hope, it's the first time I've
ever changed the FUT.

Kyle Henneberque

-Mike Petrucelli