 General / 38274
Re: Brickshelf censorship policy rules.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:06:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Keith Goldman writes:
In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
to it. I think this is worth to be overthought:

I think the picture of a gunman that shoots cowardly from a window to the
street is by far more than just a sign of 'bad taste'.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DeAlynn/IAC/shotgunhold.jpg

So, Ben, I guess censorship is ok if something offends you?

I do not like censorship in general: the freedom of speach is a really
worthful thing!

But some censorship might be needed in any kind of public announcement-board.
I have no problems with 'bad taste' pictures on a private homepage. But
total off-topics, violence, sex and politics do not belong into brickshelf
and should be (partly) filtered out.

"Bad taste" is
in the eye of the beholder.  Personally, I'd rather see some good ole'
plastic violence than sombodys mugshot.

I think we Europeans are not so weapon fanatic as the US appear in our eyes.
I am myself convinced school kids that are suddenly running amok have been
prepared to that by too much violence in the public like TV, videos and
PC-games.
Weapons are bad, killing people is bad and a gun aiming through a window to
the street is bad as well and it IS harmful towards kids, if you ask me. (Even
the more, when it is a so realistical image as in this case. A mionifig doing
the same is much more recognised as 'fiction'.
(Littelton and some other places names are burnt into our memories - now we
even have had our German Erfurt school amok with nearly 20 dead ....).

I would like to see guns banned out of the sight of children. (Exept for news:
kids will recognice guns are serious dangerous there, while primitive
TV-series like the A-team only couse a high attraction for guns, which is a
really bad thing in my eyes. Lots of kids have difficulties to see what is
fiction and what reality they get used to the fact, that weapons are (better
'seem to be') helpful to solve your personal problems.)

But in this point I might be in a strong miniority. And this is clearly
getting off topic in this thread. I just wanted to explain my point of view.

Brickshelf rocks,

Agree!

and your buddy's problem was probably just an innocent mistake.

Yes - obviously that has been a accident, no (needless) censorship. I have
already said sorry to Kevin because of my starting of this thread.

Regards,

Ben