 Off-Topic / Debate / 17495
Re: Brickshelf censorship policy rules.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:22:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
In lugnet.general, Kyle Henneberque writes: • [Big-Snip]
People try to shift blame to the violence in movies and games.  These venues
didn't tell Dylan Klebold or Eric Harris (the two Columbine students) to go
and kill their classmates.  Let's not forget who actually pulled the
trigger.  People try to say why these kids are doing things like this.  In
the words of Chris Rock on this very subject, "Crazy!  Can't we just say
crazy!"  These kids needed to be told in thier upbringing what is right and
what is wrong by thier parents.  Even then, in the words of my father and
some of his friends who have been in law enforcement for some time, "Some
people are just messed up." Most cops would actually be a bit more colorful,
but the point is there.

Sorry, about the length of this rant.  I just had to get this out.  If I had
tried to say something like this in school, the administration would have
had me talking to a counselor so fast it would make my head spin.

So a logical and 'common sense' statement is grounds for the liberal brain
washers to harass you. It really bothers me to hear you say that you do not
wish to present a well thought out opinion because of them. That is counter to
everything the United States is supposed to stand for.

The modern educational system has a hundred years of programming to produce
people who, like machine parts, are relatively interchangeable.  One of the
worst things that a school-based authority can have to deal with is a puple who
disagrees.  Outright punishment, covert (or not) ridicule, and psychological
profiling are all typical (as in more common than not) responses to students
disagreeing with authority.

And it's not going to change unless you make it happen.

Send your kids to schools (whatever the extra cost) that do not respond that
way.  To schools that are preparing kids for the 21st century instead of the
19th.  (My vote goes the educational model based on The Sudbury Valley School
http://www.sudval.org/ )

Good luck,

Chris