 Off-Topic / Debate / 17486
Re: Thoughts on Community & Censorship (Was: Re: Brickshelf censorship policy rules.....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 02:04:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:
[snip]
Regarding the recent debates about censorship, content, etc., I think there
are greater, more fundamental issues that must first be discussed.  For one,
we must decide how we as a *community* want to be.

I disagree strongly here. It is what it is. The is no collective decision
making about how we 'want to be' - it will be what individuals make it.

Perhaps sites like
Lugnet, Brickshelf, rtl, etc. are privately operated, perhaps the various
LUGs have charters and rules, but the community that uses them is a separate
entity that is essentially self-created.

The community may be a seperate entity, but that is largely irrelevent.
LUGNET and Brickshelf are privately owned and the owners set down the rules.
They may listen to input, but in the end it's their money/time/future.

(The community may always move on to somewhere else... after all, it made
the step from rtl to LUGNET some time ago).

[big snip]

Teach them the difference between playfully sneaking
around the woods versus actually watching your friends getting killed.  If
you just say "don’t touch guns" guess what might happen when they reach the
rebellious or curious stages of their lives?  Bang.  Bang.

A nice thought.... but I don't recall any incident of someone without a gun
using backround/parent reaching a 'rebellious or curious' stage in their
life and suddenly somehow getting hold of a firearm and going on a shooting
rampage.

I could be wrong, though... do you have a specific example?

Cheers

Richie Dulin