 Off-Topic / Debate / 17489
Re: Guns! (was: Thoughts on Community & Censorship (Was: Re: Brickshelf censorship policy rules.....))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:16:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:

Teach them the difference between playfully sneaking
around the woods versus actually watching your friends getting killed.  If
you just say "don’t touch guns" guess what might happen when they reach the
rebellious or curious stages of their lives?  Bang.  Bang.

A nice thought.... but I don't recall any incident of someone without a gun
using backround/parent reaching a 'rebellious or curious' stage in their
life and suddenly somehow getting hold of a firearm and going on a shooting
rampage.

I could be wrong, though... do you have a specific example?

Well, I never went on a shooting spree, but as a teen I did behave
irresponsibly with guns (by the standards that most people express).  And they
weren't the .22 rifle that my dad had in his closet.  They were used and
probably stolen guns that I obtained through a network of other kids in a
"rebellious or curious stage."

So I knew lots and lots of other teens who possessed their own handguns but • who
didn't have parents with guns.

Interesting - and scary.

Was it your contention that only kids who have gun-owning parents get guns, or
that only kids with gun-owning parents go on shooting sprees?  And in either
case, what do you supposed the causal connection is?

It was my contention that the reported shooting sprees (that I recall) were by
teenagers who had access to guns at home (and some experience with them).

Not sure of the causal connection, if any, excepting the (possibly) easier
availability of guns for the rampage.

And there are probably much better indicators of rampage prone-ness other than
the availability of guns.

Cheers

Richie Dulin