 Off-Topic / Debate / 17487
Re: Cyber Kids 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:28:40 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/09/03/uk.implant/index.html

So what do you think?  I see the utility of such a move, though on some
level I'm a little uncomfortable with it (but I don't know if I'm being
rational or simply reactive).

There are two issues that I see, that can be phrased as two questions:

Under what circumstances does a parent/guardian have the right to subject their
children to surgery (even if minor outpatient)?

Is it a good idea to participate in a practice that could theoretically be used
by governments or other agencies to track your children?

I think the answer to the second is that such an implant has a higher risk than
benefit.

The first is harder to answer.  I'm positively convinced that circumcision
should not be allowed, as it causes substantially more harm than potential
benefits to my (and the American Academy of Pediatrics') calculus.  But this
implant presumably has relatively little in the way of medical harm or good, so
I'm less certain.

Apparently certain
stores are requiring fingerprint identification before checks will be
honored or credit accounts opened, and Mike doesn't like it.
[snip]
Mike feels the fingerprint policy to be an abominable invasion
of privacy [1].  But is it?  Or is it a reasonable guarantor of identity to
be used by a retail company to ensure security for its customers?  I guess
that if it's mandatory, then Mike might have a fair point; the forcible
disclosure of identity is indeed an invasion of privacy.  But if it's
volutary, would that be okay?

It sounds like a brilliant plan to me!  And you can always choose to not pay by
check or to shop elsewhere.  What's the harm?  After all, if you're paying by
check, aren't you disclosing your identity anyway?  The fingerprint is supposed
to just assure that you're doing so unfraudulently.

Chris