 Off-Topic / Debate / 17483
17482  |  17484
Subject:
Cyber Kids 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:13:35 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/09/03/uk.implant/index.html

So what do you think?  I see the utility of such a move, though on some
level I'm a little uncomfortable with it (but I don't know if I'm being
rational or simply reactive).

  On a related note, famed level-head and open-minded orator Mike Gallagher
http://www.mikeonline.com/ spent a good deal of time yesterday foaming at
the mouth about a recent trend in his geographic area.  Apparently certain
stores are requiring fingerprint identification before checks will be
honored or credit accounts opened, and Mike doesn't like it.
  It's hard to listen to Mike for more than 30 seconds, because that's about
the maximum length of time between his hour-long rants against Clinton in
particular and dim-witted liberals in general.  Nonetheless, I think I
gathered that Mike feels the fingerprint policy to be an abominable invasion
of privacy [1].  But is it?  Or is it a reasonable guarantor of identity to
be used by a retail company to ensure security for its customers?  I guess
that if it's mandatory, then Mike might have a fair point; the forcible
disclosure of identity is indeed an invasion of privacy.  But if it's
volutary, would that be okay?

    Dave!

[1] Another example of an abominable invasion of privacy is when a yeti
sneaks into your bedroom and rifles through your sock drawer.