 Off-Topic / Debate / 17493
17492  |  17494
Subject:
Healthy Alcohol (was: If you oppose drug legalization, you support terrorism!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:14:27 GMT

I think that each of those chemicals has bad long (and short) term effects
when used to excess.  Medicine pretty much says that alchol in fair
moderation is better to have than to be without.

Are you sure about that bit?  I've heard, for instance, that two glasses
of red wine per week can be heart-beneficial, but that isn't the same as a
correlation between alcohol consumption and benefit; there are plenty of
other components in red wine.  If you're referring to other data, I'd be
interested to read them.

I meant to get back to this before now, but here goes:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/08/13/beer.drinking.otsc/index.html

Suggests that for men, up to two "drinks" per day without regard to source of
alcohol is a health benefit.  They say that the red wine this was once
believed, but is no more, and that it's just the alcohol that does the good.

And according to:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/01/25/alcohol.alzheimers/index.html?related

alcohol can reduce the risk of dementia/alzheimers.

While this source:

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-detail.cfm?reutersid=2
817

suggests that alcohol isn't so good across the age ranges.  But I think the
deal with this (without digging too deeply) is that they're including traffic
fatalities where alcohol is detected in the blood.  So I'd say it's suspect but
worth noting.

And if you go to http://www.americanheart.org/ and type 'alcohol' into the
search box you get a bunch of articles that seem like they say: "alcohol has
beneficial effects in moderation, but we don't really want to endorse its use."

On a related note, I heard in the past couple of days on NPR that a commitee of
the Canadian Senate is suggesting the legalization of marijuana!

Chris