 Off-Topic / Debate / 15749
Re: If you oppose drug legalization, you support terrorism! (the stigma)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:29:08 GMT

What exactly *is* the harm in legalizing narcotics?

Some people will certainly abuse them, regardless of the law.  Some people
will also die from them.  But people die from all manner of things daily, so
why should narcotics be considered some end-all-be-all evil substance in
society?

I read a recent Doonesbury cartoon last week in which a joint (Jay) and a
cigarrette (Buttsy) are talking to each other:

Buttsy:  "Give me some love dude!"

Jay:  "Hey, tough guy, how's it going?"

Buttsy:  "Great!  Just got the new numbers in!
         Turns out I'm still smokin' over 400,000 folks a year!"

Jay:  *Whistles*

Buttsy:  "So how about you?  How many did *you* kill?"

Jay:  "Uh... none."

Buttsy:  "None?"

Jay:  "Zippo.  The only thing that *I* caused was 735,000 arrests."

Buttsy:  "Well, OKAY!  You bad! You bad!"

Jay:  "Yeah, right.  Next to you I feel like a total fraud..."

I don't know the exact numbers myself, but I think this sums up the argument
pretty well.  Put less money into prohibition that obviously doesn't work
and put the effort into something that actually benefits society.  If the
third world nations want to support terrorism, they will find a way with or
without U.S. money.  The least we can do is help ourselves by doing
something that works rather than continuing something that doesn't.

The fact is, The People want their drugs.  Just like they wanted their
alcohol and nicotine.  People will continue to die if they are irresponsible
with or without the assistance of the authorities.  The problem with
prohibition is that the only people who win are the suppliers and the
authorities who are funded by enforcing drug seizures.

Throw the media stigma out the window and you can then see some of the real
truth.